son allergic to milk, help

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just found out our 7 yr old son is allergic to milk. His symptoms are allergy eyes, sniffles, coughing, nothing serious yet. The doc was vague with the advice, we are to cut out milk , cheese, etc. So my question is what do we substitute with? I prefer to find a more natural less processed option than soy as an example. The goal is to wean him off the allergy medicine and to control this with diet. We asked about goat milk and they said he may be ok with it. I am just not sure how to know if he is. This is all so confusing to me.
Nancy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Get him off dairy products for at least 2 weeks, then try him on the goat milk and see if he has any allergy symptoms.

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Get him off dairy products for at least 2 weeks, then try him on the goat milk and see if he has any allergy symptoms.
+1

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think we all working on the same frequency. I'm allergic to the price I'm paying for milk....I was just at the grocery with DH and he complained and I told him, I'm fixing on breeding both our does. Good luck. I think you can find soy products for him, until you get it straightened away.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I lost where I read it but I came across an article blaming the pasteurization of cows milk being the problem and many are fine if given the fresh raw milk. Thanks for the advice, I never saw this coming I thought maybe he was allergic to the cats. So now I am in education mode and trying to find out what it is we need for him to avoid.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My uncle was allergic to cow milk as a kid, but goat milk was fine. I also recommend trying it after a few weeks.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stopped breast feeding our youngest so I could go on birth control pills.... :he That was so dumb. By the time we found out he was allergic to formula AND soy formula, I couldn't go back to nursing.

BUT raw goat milk saved the day! We saw a drastic improvement fast! Like overnight.

Good luck!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cow milk gave my daughters stomach aches. We switched to commercial goat for a while. They were fine. Now we use raw cow. No problems.

I would avoid the soy and use almond milk. My SIL has a son who's nose will run constant green when he drinks milk. The almond is a good substitute.

good luck.

g

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From the FWIW department...
Allergic reactions are generally caused by a protein. There are some to other things, including cheap metal such as might be used in costume jewelry.

The best way of knowing what or WHAT NOT to give your child is have the child tested. It is true that cows milk has a protein that frequently causes allergic reactions. It is however, important to be systematic and thorough about your approach to this.

While it may indeed be the cows milk, it could also be some other substance the child consumes so don't just "jump to a conclusion" and start trying everything.

On the other hand, there is merit to stopping the cows milk and everything that has it and go for the goats milk as an alternative. The child should be symptom free for a week before doing anything or you will be just as confused and frustrated as you are now.

Whatever you do, start with ONE thing. Give it for a while and then decide if they tolerate it. Then move on to the next. This goes for foods as well as milk.

HOpe this helps.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends (Yes, I am a real doctor)
//BT//