Soup Recipes--Your Fav!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know why I love this soup so much, but it's really just SO good, and doesn't even look like it should be delicious. But trust me, it IS.

Wild Rice and Beet Top Soup

3 Tbsp. room-temp butter
1 small yellow onion, minced
1/4 cup wild rice
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds of beet greens (yes, a lot!)
1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup light cream or half-and-half
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. allspice
a few dashes of tabasco sauce
salt and pepper

1. Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a (not too huge) soup pot. Cook onion until just starting to brown. Add wild rice and 2 cups of stock, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes.

2. Clean and chop up the beet tops. Add them, and the potatoes, and the remaining 2 1/2 cups of broth to the soup. Bring up to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat, and cook, covered, on low heat for about half an hour.

3. Stir the cream into the soup, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.

4. Stir together the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter with the cornstarch in a little bowl until smooth. Stir this into the soup and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add allspice, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.

I don't know why it's so tasty, but mmmmmmm now I want some.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok my Families favorite soup is Tortilla soup, I use this recipe and always add a can of drained/rinsed black beans and a can of corn. Also I highly recommend the avocado in it.
* 6 tablespoons canola oil
* 8 corn tortillas, chopped
* 6 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 3 bay leaves
* 6 cups chicken stock
* 1 teaspoon salt (I never add)
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 4 large cooked chicken breast halves, shredded

GARNISH
* shredded monterey jack cheese
* diced avocado
* sour cream (optional)
* 2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (optional)

Directions
In dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes
Add the tomatoes, bringing to a boil.
Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves.
Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
Reduce heat.
Add salt and cayenne and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and stir in shredded chicken.
Garnish with Monterrey Jack cheese and avocado, and sour cream and fried tortillas if desired.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love this stuff--SO easy, too:

Hoppin John Soup
1 pound sage pork sausage
1 box Uncle Bens wild rice, 6 ounces
2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water

Brown sausage. In large pot, mix all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 min.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Calling this a recipe is like calling any movie actor a "star"- sounds good but the honor is much diluted.
Anyway I take some homemade chicken broth, crunch some ramen into it and a quarter size slice of ginger and put to boil to cook the ramen. When the ramen's cooked, I slice some green onions or any other good to eat raw veggie into it and there you are. Sometimes I get really creative and add some mushrooms or float an egg in it-lol- I told you it really wasn't a recipe.

me&thegals

Reaction score
ETR--sounds good!

Here's another one, especially when you're looking to load veggies in a comfort food:

Green Velvet Soup
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 potatoes, diced
cup dried split peas
2 bay leaves
6 cups vegetable broth (could substitute chicken)
2 zucchini, diced
1 head broccoli, chopped
teaspoon dried basil
teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups chopped fresh spinach
salt to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, combine onion, celery, potatoes, split peas, bay leaves and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Remove the bay leaves and stir in the zucchini, broccoli, basil and black pepper. Simmer 20 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
Stir in spinach and remove from heat. Puree in a blender or food processor using an immersion blender. Salt to taste.

me&thegals

Reaction score
And another...

It truly does not get easier or healthier than this one. Great way to use up all that homemade salsa! My family loves this one topped with cottage cheese:

Dawns Bean Soup
48 ounces white beans with juice (6 cups)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups thick and chunky salsa
3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped

Mix together in pan and warm to desired temp. Sprinkle with mozzarella.

me&thegals

Reaction score
This soup is reminscent of stroganoff. Excellent over brown rice. (boy, am I getting carried away here!!! I'll stop now, but soup is my favorite meal!)

Hungarian Mushroom Soup4 T butter/oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced or diced
2 t dried dill weed
1 T paprika
1 T soy sauce
6 cups chicken/beef broth
2 cups milk
6 T flour
2 t lemon juice
1 t salt/pepper
cup chopped parsley
cup sour cream

Melt butter. Saut onions for 5 min. Add mushrooms and saut 5 more min. Stir in dill, paprika, soy and broth. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 min. Whisk milk and flour together. Pour into soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer 15 min more, stirring occasionally. Finally, stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Heat 3-5 min. Do not boil. Serve.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I make this soup every year for Christmas Eve. My in-laws always request it and it's one of our favorites, too. (Don't tell them I make it more often.) :p

SPICY POTATO SOUP

1 lb. ground beef (turkey, deer, etc.)
4 c. cubed, peeled potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
3 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce (I use mine)
4 c. water
2 tsp. salt (Mrs. Dash works great)
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce

I also add bag of frozen cut off corn and a couple of stalks of celery.

Brown ground beef and drain. Throw that and the rest of the ingredients into a big pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour or until potatoes are tender.
Serves 6-8.

Instead of hot sauce, I use my ground red pepper flakes. Use extra for more spicey or less to your taste. This is a good recipe to use all that stuff you put up and canned during the summer.

And it pairs perfectly with cornbread. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I am afraid I must confess that I've never made soup from scratch...always bought canned soup...but my mom made a soup that we called "End of the Week Soup" and as you can guess, every left over in the fridge on Thursday night went into the soup pot Friday morning....and she would make us eat that slop all weekend long! She wouldn't fix a new meal until Monday morning. It was so gross!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Normally for soup, I just wing it--I don't follow a recipe, but the two that get eaten here the most are--chicken Noodle Soup and Vegetable soup, both made from my boiled down carcasses of my roasted chickens.

Chicken Noodle Soup
About 12 cups broth
equal parts chopped carrots, celery, onion, cooked chicken, spaghetti noodles- broken.
boil veggies until almost cooked, add noodles. Once cooked, add chicken. I always add a spoonful chopped garlic to this, then salt and pepper to taste.

We have chicken once a week and I always boil down the carcass. We have alot of chicken noodle soup. Hubby takes it to work, and kids take it to school for lunches.

Vegetable Soup
About 8 cups broth
one can tomato juice,
any kind of vegetable you have in the house. (leftovers are great)
I always add some kidney beans or lentils, and noodles too.

Season to taste.

I make cream soups alot too, with my cream soup starter mix , and then add whatever I want.

Cream soup mix:
2 cups powder milk
3/ cups cornstarch
2 tablespoons dried onion
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/ cup chicken stock granules
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
Combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/ cup water or milk
Add chopped veggie of choice(again leftovers work great)
Cook over medium heat.

Needless to say, when I make this recipe, I usually quadruple it (if not more) b/c I make big batches of soup.

You can add mashed potatoes and bacon,; mushroom;caulifower;broccoli, corn, tuna and corn (for a chowder type soup)

YUMM!!!
Soups are a mainstay at my house--I like to have some in the fridge always, so if you are hungry for lunch, you just have to heat it up. Usually if I don't have soup in the house, I usually end up eating soemthing for lunch that isn't so healthy for me.

I'm gonna make some soup today as I have some broth in the fridge--don't know what kind though........

Latest posts