Sour Dough Starter

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have recipe for sour douh starter, but no recipe that tells how to use it. Can any ony help.

The recipe is
In a bottle or crock mix 2 cups flour, 2 cups warm water, and 2 teaspoons of warm water. Leave un covered to ferment for four days in a warm room. stir several times a day to aerate. kepp in refridgerator, tightly covered in a glass jar or container. After use feed with equal parts of flour and warm water and let set out in a warm room uncoverd for twentyfour hours before returning to fridge. Shake often to re-activate. Allow recipes using sour dough starter twentyfour hours to rise.

I was given an old cook book with this recipe in it. I would like to try it, but there are no recipes in the book that tell how to use it.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I go to allrecipes.com and search for 'sourdough bread.' I especially like 'San Francisco Sourdough,' it calls for 1 1/2c sourdough starter. It's a delicious bread, but it doesn't taste very sour.

Good luck with your breadmaking.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just be forewarned that sourdough bread, made with just sourdough and no yeast like many of the "modern" recipes call for....can be quite.....sour! Wonderful with homemade cream cheese and strawberry preserves, though! That recipe sounds like it would be extra sour, since you are not asked to add flour and water every day, which would dilute the sourness somewhat.

But it is good to know how to make bread if all you can get is the wheat or rye. A self-sufficiency skill, so experience it at least once! Regularly if you like the taste.

Oh, and I would definitely cover the container with guaze to keep bugs out, but let wild yeast in.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am trying 2 diff recipes for sourdough right now. :fl I got them at bakespace.com an so far they both seem to be doing good. When I was a kid we had sourdough bread,cinnamon rolls,dinner rolls and pizza crust. I hope do do this with mine. I need to get all my mom's old recipes out and start looking for some. Enjoy the sourdough!! :ya

oregonchick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Can you do this with whole wheat? Or just bake whole wheat bread with regular white flour starter?

and does that recipe really call for 2 c. warm water plus 2 tsp. warm water?

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How funny I just started my own sourdough starter this am and then came across this thread. My recipe called for 1 c flour 1 c warm water, remove half after 24 hours and replace with 1/2 c flour and 1/2 c warm water,do this until it bubbles and is frothy on top 3-4 days or sooner, then it is starter and can be used and stored in fridge and fed weekly or so. I hope it works I love sour dough bread. If I am succesful with this I really want to try Salt Rising Bread, I have read it can be a little tricky. According to the recipe I'm useing you can use whole wheat flour.

Kim

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oregonchick said:
Can you do this with whole wheat? Or just bake whole wheat bread with regular white flour starter?

and does that recipe really call for 2 c. warm water plus 2 tsp. warm water?
My sourdough starter is made with, and fed with, unbleached white flour. However, if I were to want a wholewheat starter, or a rye starter, I would just take some out of the original crock, and feed it as usual with whatever flour I wanted. After a time or two I would have, essentially, a wholewheat (rye) starter - but the original would still be "pure". Alternatively, the amount of starter in any given recipe is relatively small, so regular starter in a wholewheat loaf would not change the wholewheat taste much. BTW, I keep my starter "white" because my family prefers white bread for the most part. If your family doesn't care, or prefers something else, it is perfectly feasable to keep a "darker" starter going. By the same token, if your starter is wholegrain, feeding it for a time or two with white flour will dilute it enough for a white loaf.