Sources for seeds

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this info is somewhere else on the SS forum. I thought I had remembered reading something, but after a long search I just can't seem to find it.
So here goes...........

We don't normally get seeds through the mail. We go to a local nursery and purchase them. But, we've been bombarded with seed catalogs this year and have found some things of interest. One of them is Shumways. Anyone know anything about them.

Would you all mind sharing your favorite seed catalog? Companies that you can recommend from experience.
It might be of help to many others if we had them compiled here.

Thanks a bunch.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ordered my seeds from a catalog/online for the first time last year and went through Johnny's Selected Seeds. I had an extremely positive experience both with customer service and the seeds themselves made for a much better than average (for me!) garden. One of the reasons I went the mail order route was because I had been doing a lot of reading about GMO's and how supposedly now many of the small-time garden seeds we're buying are genetically modified, which I'm trying to avoid. Johnny's (along with several other seed companies) pledged to not sell any knowingly genetically modified seeds, and they have a great selection, and you can get many of their seeds in mini-packs, so I went with them.
Here's their website:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Prairie, I'm really satisfied with Shumways and I will be ordering from them the most this year. I'm impressed with the variety compared to all the other catalogs I am receiving, which focus mostly on flowers and less on veggies and herbs.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the opinions shared. I feel more confident ordering from a source that someone can recommend.

keljonma, so many links.......so many seeds........I will enjoy looking at those.

annmarie, I am also concerned with the genetically modified seeds. I have read about Johnny's and will look at them, too.

Bee, I have my order ready for Shumway. I was impressed with the variety, too. I also enjoyed looking at the old-fashioned type catalog.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My vote is for Johnny's. I ordered and used several different types last year. I was not disappointed. Good germination rate.