Sourcream icing? Need help .... icing won't thicken???

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So my BF and I were talking and he was saying how he can NOT get his absolutely favorite cake any more .... a chocolate fudge cake with sourcream icing .... because nobody makes sourcream icing any more... Anybody have a recipe?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have this old family recipe.

Hazelnut Icing

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 Tablespoons cold butter
1 cup chopped hazelnuts

Heat sugar and cream together over low heat for a few minutes until thickened. Add butter. Simmer until mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water from a spoon (or use a candy thermometer and cook until soft ball stage is reached). Remove from the stove, cool. Beat until the mixture is very thick, with a fudge-like consistency. Mix in the hazelnuts and immediately frost the cake.

You could try replacing the brown sugar with white and leave out the nuts to see if this is similar to what your BF remembers.

Good luck!

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder if what he is remembering is actually a boiled icing? (No sour cream) That is what I am familiar with on the old fashioned cakes...

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Is it a white or chocolate frosting, with sour cream?

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll ask him if chocolate or white icing and will be getting the ingredients that kel posted ... would be a nice surprise for him to make this ... thank you sooo much!

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I made this (or so I thought) and go to the "beat until fudge like consistency" and yeah not getting fudge like consistency ...

Help

:barnie

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I might try adding some powdered sugar to see if it helps stiffen things up a bit. Or perhaps chill it and see if the cold butter helps it firm up. Good luck.