Sourdough question. ETA- It Worked!!!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My friend has a sourdough starter thingy... i know absolutely NOTHING about sourdough. I've been making yogurt lately though, and I sort of assume it's the same thing... (correct me if I'm wrong!) Anyway, I'm bartering her a dozen eggs for Loafy's latest baby... I am very excited!!!

ETA: It worked! THe loaf was very, very small, and my kids hated it and DH said I should have cooked it longer... but I thought it was fab. :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
There are a few sourdough threads on here.....do a search and you will quickly learn everything you could ever want to know about SD!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have already read the sourdough posts here, and still have some questions! I got a jar with about 6 oz of starter this morning. I have a really hard time with all the information i've been finding, figuring out what I need to do... I'm really good if someone can SHOW me what to do... It's sitting in a small jar on my counter. can someone give me a step by step? Like 1. Add x and y to starter, then 4 hours later, add g, and a pinch of F... etc., I would like to make bread, as soon as I am able... help?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So, you know you have to feed it, right? Then once it has bubbled and doubled, it is ready to use. Finda recipe you want to use, and measure out the required amount of starter. Add to that the rest of the ingredients the recipe tells you to.That will be your sponge. Let it sit overnight, and in the morning, add the rest of the ingredients in the recipe. Then you let it rise again, and tehn bake.

Does that help?
'Also, once you take out some starter, feed it again.