soy flour as egg substitute?

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I read in The Complete Tightwad Gazette that you can use 1 tablespoon of soy flour as a substitute for an egg in baking? Has anyone done this? And how does this work exactly?:hu

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Where is Free and her endless supply of knowledge of why soy is bad? Lol.

Sorry Delia, I'm no help!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You can use flax meal in a little water, as an egg replacer. Let it soak some and it will bind stuff nicely. Haven't heard of using soy flour that way.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
You can use flax meal in a little water, as an egg replacer. Let it soak some and it will bind stuff nicely. Haven't heard of using soy flour that way.
How much flax meal and water?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I think it's a tablespoon of each but you let it sit for a while to thicken up. I just say it looks about right, but I am not a precise cook.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We use real eggs because we don't have anyone with egg sensitivity here.

I can't help with the soy flour, although I read somewhere not too long ago about someone who did substitute soy flour for egg, but I did not make note of how they did that. I have read about the flax substitute also, but haven't used it.

I do have a couple recipes where 2 Tb of real mayo is used instead of eggs - but real mayo is made with egg - so that wouldn't help if you are trying to steer clear of using eggs.

ETA:
Another egg substitute in my files, which I have not used, is for 1 egg:
1/2 tsp baking powder plus 1 Tb vinegar plus 1 Tb water

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Don't get me started on soy flour...

IT IS GARBAGE!

It is highly processed and contains a lot of anti-nutrients.
"...soya beans have one of the highest phytic acid levels of any grain or legume that has been studied.(14) This is important because phytic acid binds with minerals to form phytates that are not absorbed from the intestine. This leads to a wide range of nutritional deficiency diseases. The mineral most affected by soya is zinc. (15) Soya-based infant formula is particularly harmful because zinc is needed for proper development and functioning of the brain and nervous system. It also plays a role in protein synthesis and collagen formation; it is involved in the blood-sugar control mechanism and thus protects against diabetes; it is needed for a healthy reproductive system. Zinc is a key component in numerous vital enzymes and plays a role in the immune system."
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/no-joy.html

The only reason to not use eggs is an allergy. The good news is that if you are allergic to chicken eggs, you can sometimes use other types of eggs without issues. The protein in egg whites from different types of fowl are all slightly different. It is usually the protein in the egg white that triggers an allergic reaction. Some people who are allergic to chicken eggs can eat duck or quail eggs. There are also people who can eat chicken eggs, but are allergic to quail eggs.
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20978096

Talk to your allergist about this before you experiment.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I have never used soy flour ..I was just wondering about it. No one I know has egg allergies. Thank you Kel and Laureldragon for the egg substitutes. I just thought it would be good information to know about...WTSHTF and I am running low on eggs...or if someone else needs to know that does not have eggs..:hide

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That is why I have my own ducks :D

But I do have flax on hand. No soy sullies my cupboard.