Spice rack for new bride

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Need to know what you would choose as your twelve must have spices. I am giving my niece a spice rack for her wedding gift and it holds 12 jars which I will be filling. It was a wedding gift to me but I am a 50 spice person so I just put it away. I for sure will do onion and garlic powder, paprika and dill. She is a new cook and my choices would certainly be different. What are your 12 essentials?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, parsley, cinnamon, paprika, chili powder, celery seed, poultry seasoning, pumpkin pie spice and bay leaves. These along w/salt and pepper will do a ton of stuff.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Be sure to include some of your favorite simple recipes that include the spices you choose. Like spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, bean paste or refried beans, pizza popcorn....just trying to think of some recipes that might appeal to a new cook.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmm, only 12. I agree, that's hard!

Garlic, onion, chili powder, italian seasoning, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, dill, thyme, paprika, mustard, parsley. Guess that's my top dozen.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Forget the dried parsley; give her a potted plant. Dried parsley tastes like grass :lol:. Marjoram and/or thyme instead.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I never go with the seasoning blends just the basics.

My choices would be:

Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Celery Seed, Mustard, Ginger, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Paprika, Cumin.

I use so much dried minced Garlic it gets it's own BIG container as does Black Pepper and of course salt.

Since she is a new cook I would look for a cooking with spices cookbook of some sort as well. I got one as a new bride and it was very valuable to me.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:
I was thinking just the opposite, since she's a new cook. I was thinking Italian seasoning (I LOVE Tone's), poultry seasoning, garlic (salt or powder), onion, cinnamon, parsley, ginger...
I hate bay, haven't used it in 30 years.

Has she indicated that she'll cook? So many younger people think dinner is takeout.

Ditto on a simple starter cookbook. I think my daughter's was called 'How to boil water' or something cute like that. It had tons of basic info and simple recipes.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My top 12...

Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Basil, Dried Onion, Corriander, Chili Powder, Red Pepper Flakes, Sage, Dry Mustard and Ginger.

Great idea! I appreciate homemade and handmade gifts so much more than store bought ones. It takes an effort on the giver's part and shows they really put thought and time into the gift.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
Great idea! I appreciate homemade and handmade gifts so much more than store bought ones. It takes an effort on the giver's part and shows they really put thought and time into the gift.
Plus spices are expensive! I agree it is a very thoughtful gift.