Spicey popcorn...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have found a way to avoid butter and lots of salt in popcorn and its so tastey we can't stop eating it.

We make our popcorn in one of those crank-style pots, so it requires very little oil. We fix big bowls and sprinkle some Nature's Seasoning, some Creole seasoning and some nutritional yeast, or brewers yeast, which gives it a buttery, cheesy flavor. I spritz mine with a little olive oil to make the seasoning cling to the popcorn and not wind up in the bottom of the bowl.

This is a satisfying, cheap snack for the kids and leftovers (never happens, but just in case) can be stored in ziploc bags. I've taken this to work for a food day and the people can't decide if they like the flavor or not, so they keep eating it to "find out". I never have to take any home, its gone to the last fluffy kernel.

This is also a great thing to put in kid's or a working man's lunch, in place of more fattening chips.

The brewer's yeast makes one's pee very yellow, so don't get too concerned over this the next morning! :D

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not picturing what type pot your talking about, maybe it's the hour I don't know but could you please describe it. Thanks

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The brewer's yeast makes one's pee very yellow, so don't get too concerned over this the next morning! :D
LOL! Thanks for the warning!

Will have to try it!

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Every time I try to make popcorn in a pot, it usually burns. I am putting oil in the bottom of the pot so I am not really sure what I am doing wrong. It seems like the kernels are sticking to the bottom. I have ruined several good pots of mine just trying to make popcorn.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have the same type of popcorn pot that Beekissed has, it has a cover with a crank handle.
You turn the handle and there is a piece that sticks down and it stirs up the popcorn kernals and keeps it from burning.
Its fantastic and the easiest I have ever used and it washes out very easy.
My father bought mine for me at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I have seen them at other places thought too.
You can probably order them online.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We love popcorn around here. I am going to try this. One question...Is brewers yeast available anywhere or do you get it somewhere special?

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I am pretty sure I have the same type of popcorn pot that Beekissed has, it has a cover with a crank handle.
You turn the handle and there is a piece that sticks down and it stirs up the popcorn kernals and keeps it from burning.
Its fantastic and the easiest I have ever used and it washes out very easy.
My father bought mine for me at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I have seen them at other places thought too.
You can probably order them online.
Is this what you are talking about? If so, I can check at my local Bed, Bath, and Beyond to see if they sell them.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-PC17551-Aluminum-Stovetop/dp/B000W44GX6

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They are called Theatre II from a company in Monon, Indiana. The parts are guaranteed for quite a while and the company is pretty nice. They cost about $20 and last forever. My mom had a piece on her lid/crank wear out (after 15 years of weekly service) and she contacted them about buying a replacement part. They sent her a new top/lid for free!

The brewers yeast can be found at bulk food stores and health food stores. It seems expensive...around $7-$8 a pound, but its so lightweight that the amount is pretty large and goes a far piece. Its nearly pure protein, so some doctors recommend it to be sprinkled on foods for people who have a poor nutritional status. You can also see this as an ingredient in capsules to improve dog's coats.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
no no no!!!
Brewer's yeast is brown granules -- very good for B vitamins but nasty tasting.

Nutritional yeast is a yellow flaky powder that is said to taste like cheese (I don't think so but I'm in the minority). Also very good for you. but don't get them mixed up!!! It is sold in the UK as "good tasting yeast", or maybe that's a brand.

Latest posts