Spicy Red Pepper Jam

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Taste it. If it tastes good, go for it :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
KK. Just still sorting out the actual "this recipe will EXPLODE and melt the entire US if you alter the recipe" and any reality of canning :D

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
make sweetener changes and go for it. from the food safety perspective, with that much vinegar it doesn't matter what combination of sweeteners you use, texture may be an issue but it is a dipping sauce and you aren't relying on it to set up like a jelly.

I am planning to substitute dried thai peppers and palm sugar, that should be adequately deadly and wonderfully flavorful.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
from the food safety perspective, with that much vinegar it doesn't matter what combination of sweeteners you use
BINGO! Anything that is mostly vinegar is not something to freak out about. It most likely wont turn you in to a zombie :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What they said! You want the sweetness from something though because of the style of sauce it is!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Right. I figured about halving it would be perfect. I can taste sugar VERY easily on this low carb ;)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have fun with it, as long as you are not messing with acidity it will be great, I love to can it's so addicting :D Oh, I was thinking half the amount if using honey also.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The original recipe called for 3 cups of sugar. I wouldn't necessarily plan on going down to 3/4 of a cup of sweetener. Erythritol is LESS SWEET than sugar or honey. You may end up using more like 2 cups of honey. I would start at 1 cup of honey and taste then see if it needed more. In abi's case, start at 1/2 a cup and go up from there :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*beams* Me too! Addicted to canning, indeed!

Auntie, erythritol gives me stinky poo gas. I'll just use honey!