spinning yarn

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am interesting in learning how to spin my own yarn but I'm not ready to invest in a spinning wheel. I've heard alittle about using drop spindle

Where do I buy a drop spindle? Or better yet how do I make one?

Any tips would be very useful to or any websites that have explain in detail how to spin. Thanks!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've not checked it yet, but am wondering if Lehmann's catalog would have such an item?

I would eventually like to get into the fiber arts myself. I think being able to produce one's own clothing would be a necessary skill for SS.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I have used a drop spindle........it's not fun. It takes a REALLY long time to get just a little yarn and then you have to ply it. Plus, if your spindle is too heavy you either can't spin fine yarn or it will constantly break. If your spindle is too light you can only spin really fine yarn. So you will have to buy or make more than one.

Plus you will need something to ply your yarn on.

If you want to make anything bigger than a hat or scarf for a months worth of work, a spinning wheel is a good investment. If there is a fiber guild in your area you could check out getting a used wheel, or possibly renting one.

I'm sorry if I sound like a downer, I don't mean to be. Spinning can be enjoyable and relaxing as long as you like it for itself.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Anny, alot of times you can pick up spinning wheels at auctions for cheap money, I have seen them several times and thought of buying one.
My sister in law owns a few of these in different styles and sizes, she spins her own yarn and then works it on her loom.
It looks like alot of fun, I have thought of trying it. She always wants to teach me.I love going to those festivals where the spinning associaton gives demonstrations.
Maybe you could check out e-bay even, probably expensive though. But check out estate auctions and local auction houses.
You may even be able to find one at an antique store and trade them something for it, an item or a service.
Good luck!!
edited to add that if you have a spinning association near you, contact them and ask if they have any members that want to sell an extra, people get older and get out of doing some of their hobbies. If not they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love spinning. I just started last fall. I was lucky enough to find a very nice used spinning wheel. You have to watch about buying a used one. You need to make sure that all the pieces are there and it is in working condition. You might want to see if you can find a club around you. They should be more than welcome to help you. I found a group that meets once a month. One of the women were nice enough to come to my house once a week and help me learn. I also was able to buy a drop spindle from one of the women that makes them. It only costed me $5. I put a ad on one of the local wanted sites. You might be able to put an ad on craigslist to find a group. Good Luck!!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
see if there is a weaver's guild or fiber arts club or that sort of thing around you. (Ask at a good fabric or yarn store, or possibly even ask at the library, they sometimes know that sort of thing). I know that my m-i-l's guild is always lookin' to suck new members into the whole spinning weaving knitting felting etcetera kind of thing, and you could probably hook up with someone to show you how it works and maybe even find someone with a spare wheel for sale if you seem earnest enough :)

Good luck,

Pat

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a spinning guild just around the block from our house they let you use their wheel if no one else is. I would never have known about if I had not had a client mention it in passing, I then asked a local yarn store and they gave me all of the info. It is definitely fun to get associated with a guild hopefully you have one in your town. I looked into getting a drop spindle too but heard the same problems of it just not being diverse enough and difficult to use. Good luck!

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a spinning wheel--Ashford Scholar, my friend has several including a Joy--I think it is an Asford also. She has taken a course in Canada and is considered a Master Spinner. I have used a drop spindle and it can be done, but takes a lot of practice. I suppose you could make one, but it would have to be balanced. I found a link for a really cool spinning wheel, but lost it--they weren't too expensive and made in the USA. Both my daughters want one. When I find it, I will post it. Carolyn

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hey Anny,

We were over at my m-i-l's this past weekend, and I asked her about drop spindle -spun things. (M-i-l has been spinning and weaving and other fiber arts stuff for most of her 82 years and has won a whole buncha prizes and is very active in a large guild, and so probably knows somewhat what she's talking about ;))

She said that with a bit of practice (her 'bit of' may be larger than some peoples' 'bit of') drop-spindle spun yarn is perfectly fine for any kind of weaving/knitting/crochet/anythingelseyouwannado. You just have to make sure to ply it after it is spun.

She seemed to think that getting a drop spindle and spending all your spare time learning to make yarn that way was very doable and wortwhile; she says she knows a couple people who after several decades still just use a drop spindle not a wheel, although they are not in a hurry to produce vast amounts of yarn in a short period of time.

So, there ya go, if that helps any :)

Have fun,

Pat