spinning yarn

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have one and spent a very pleasant day spinning with a friend who gave a class at her home. She spins that way a lot and knits what she spins. She is an "extreme knitter" so she is quite good at it! Don't know that I'll ever get to that level myself.
Oh, she had her husband make the drop spindles she gave each of us!

pconwayfarms

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a wheel, but carries a drop spindle in her bag so that she can spin during "down time" like waiting in the Dr's office. She also had a spindle made from a pencil and a CD. Be creative and enjoy.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
pconwayfarms said:
I have a friend who has a wheel, but carries a drop spindle in her bag so that she can spin during "down time" like waiting in the Dr's office. She also had a spindle made from a pencil and a CD. Be creative and enjoy.
That's pretty much what my friend does too. It's her therapy! (She's a therapist!)

AngieChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here are basic instructions on how to make your own drop spindle using a few very simple supplies. I have made these and they work very well, better than many expensive store bought spindles, in fact. For plying, all you do is take a shoe box and poke 2 sets of holes across from each other to slip the spindles them, laying it horizontally. It will have to have enough clearance to spin without the cd hitting the bottom of the box or each other. Then you can take your 3rd spindle and ply away. No special equipment necessary.

A good link with free basic spinning instructions is: SpinOff Magazine

Good luck!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
AngieChick said:
Here are basic instructions on how to make your own drop spindle using a few very simple supplies. I have made these and they work very well, better than many expensive store bought spindles, in fact. For plying, all you do is take a shoe box and poke 2 sets of holes across from each other to slip the spindles them, laying it horizontally. It will have to have enough clearance to spin without the cd hitting the bottom of the box or each other. Then you can take your 3rd spindle and ply away. No special equipment necessary.

A good link with free basic spinning instructions is: SpinOff Magazine

Good luck!
That is cool! Mine is different. But I do have the shoe box for plying! Borrowed from my friend until I buy new shoes and can make my own. ;)