Squash Bugs are stooopid - Easy, no pesticide way to get rid of them

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I planted zucchini several weeks back and they are looking fine!
However, I did notice a few squash bugs on them, several spots of eggs as well.
http://www.mastergardeners.org/images/import/tips/images/squash_bugs_mating.jpg
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/SustAg/GSFgraphics/squasheggsupperweb.jpg

Now, the eggs are easy to take care of, and so are the nymphs. Squash the eggs between your fingers and spray the nymphs with regular old soapy water. But the adults are wiley, they'll hide under the mulch and avoid the soapy water.

I discovered totally by accident that if you flood the base of your squash, the adults move up out of the flood zone and onto the leaves, where you can easily pick them off & squash them or drop them into soapy water.

I just directed the water hose near the base of the zucs and there they were! "Run away, run away!" :lol:
Love it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Guineas will completely obliterate squash bugs, cucumber beetles, and other garden pests. Of course, as I have learned, they will also completely obliterate your hearing and your sanity! :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes indeed. Anytime my beek friend wants to tease me, he tells me he's bringing his 4 guineas to my house & dropping them off. LOUD funny looking buggers!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if guineas would eat bees around a hive.....mine will knock borer bees right out of the air and then pounce on them. Does he have a problem with the guineas eating his honey bees?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I was wondering if guineas would eat bees around a hive.....mine will knock borer bees right out of the air and then pounce on them. Does he have a problem with the guineas eating his honey bees?
Good question!!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Yep, the brown marmorated stink bug is causing HUGE problems around here. I have 3 guineas and STILL have problems. :rant Unfortnately, I cannot stand the guineas, or I would get more so they'd eat more bugs. My dog, however, is very good at catching and eating them. :sick I'm really not looking forward to battling the little buggers this year!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oooh, I don't know, but I will ask!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
the guineas don't eat the squash plants themselves? I thought they were similar to a chicken.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, he said they scrounge around and eat the dead ones in front of the hives, but don't mess with the live ones. Interesting.
SD, the guineas don't scratch like chickens do and the most they have ever done in his garden is peck a tomato or two that had fallen. He has no ticks at all.
I still don't want them (or geese! gah!) I like my peace & quiet :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They will scratch a little (very little) and love to dust bathe, but have left my plants alone, unlike the chickens. I keep 'em out of the garden when the seedlings are really small. You can put something in their dust bath spot if they pick the wrong spot.

Their preferred food is bugs, bugs, and more bugs.