Squash bugs have killed my squash and zucc's....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You're in Texas, burn the plants out, and restart in a couple weeks. Use cigarette butts or chewing tobacco in the ground around the plants. Squash bugs HATE tobacco.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Howdy fellow Texan! I too fight the squash bug battles. Usually get zero to none because of borers. Then this year I got a recipe for Voo-Doo Juice!!!!!

Voo-Doo Juice
1 pkg chewing tobacco
1 pod crushed garlic, not just 1 clove, but the whole pod
1/4 cup tobasco
1/4 cup dishwashing liquid

Boil 1 gallon water, dump in tobacco and garlic. Bring back to boil, turn off burner and let steep until cool.
Strain, add tobasco and soap.
Pour in 2 gallon sprayer and top with water.
spray after 7 PM and be sure to spray UNDER the leaves and saturate the stem from the ground to the tip, but not the flowers.

I had corn worms eating the tomatoes from the bottom and this worked for them too. I loves me some Voo-Doo Juice!! :love :love

Oh, did I mention this stuff stinks while brewing?? :sick :lol: :lol: :lol:

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
Howdy fellow Texan! I too fight the squash bug battles. Usually get zero to none because of borers. Then this year I got a recipe for Voo-Doo Juice!!!!!

Voo-Doo Juice
1 pkg chewing tobacco
1 pod crushed garlic, not just 1 clove, but the whole pod
1/4 cup tobasco
1/4 cup dishwashing liquid

Boil 1 gallon water, dump in tobacco and garlic. Bring back to boil, turn off burner and let steep until cool.
Strain, add tobasco and soap.
Pour in 2 gallon sprayer and top with water.
spray after 7 PM and be sure to spray UNDER the leaves and saturate the stem from the ground to the tip, but not the flowers.

I had corn worms eating the tomatoes from the bottom and this worked for them too. I loves me some Voo-Doo Juice!! :love :love

Oh, did I mention this stuff stinks while brewing?? :sick :lol: :lol: :lol:
Im pretty sure my wife will not allow this brewing in her house! haha!!! :gig

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found out (actually by accident) that agricultural sulphur helps w/squash bugs. You'll probably have to reapply every so often, but we were havin a huge problem, and I dusted the gardens and then noticed the squash bugs disappeared. Its been a week, and now that it rained, they're popping back up and I'm trying to keep on top of em, scraping off (gently) the eggs on the leaves w/a pocket knife, but I'll probably be dusting again here once it dries up.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snowhunter said:
I found out (actually by accident) that agricultural sulphur helps w/squash bugs. You'll probably have to reapply every so often, but we were havin a huge problem, and I dusted the gardens and then noticed the squash bugs disappeared. Its been a week, and now that it rained, they're popping back up and I'm trying to keep on top of em, scraping off (gently) the eggs on the leaves w/a pocket knife, but I'll probably be dusting again here once it dries up.
Agricultural sulphur? sounds yummy, gotta get some of that too! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Garlic powder works great too. Garlic in soapy water works well for many other pests as well.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I finally broke down and got Pyganic, based on pyrethrin, derived from Chrysanthemums. It seems to be working on our potato beetles, squash bugs and cucumber beetles. They were do bad that we had 2 dozen squash bugs per cucumber plant, and even more than that on the potato beetles. With 1200 feet of potatoes and about 700 feet of cucurbits, I was running out of time hand picking. Good luck!

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Garlic powder works great too. Garlic in soapy water works well for many other pests as well.
Do you just mix it and then spray it on the plants then??