Squash Cake Recipe

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mawmaw Callais' Squash Cake Recipe

about 4 or 5 medium sized squash (color doesn't matter) deseeded and peeled
a can of evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup of white sugar
a kitchen spoon of flour (its probably anywhere from 1/2 cup to 2/3's cup)
1 tsp of baking soda
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.
Peel and remove mature seeds from whatever sqush you choose. Begin stewing them to soften. You should have about a quart of squash. (note....if you don't want a mess when mixing, you might want to pass the sqush thru a blender). Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 9 X 13 inch pan. Bake for 45 minutes. It won't be a cake consistancy....more like a bread pudding consistancy.

My oldest used this recipe for 4H's sugar and seafood fair and won the highest award in the cake division. It is one of my families favorite dishes.

Last edited by rhoda_bruce (02/03/2013 8:04 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any squash? Squash is basically on the bland side, so why wouldn't it work? LOL I love zucchini cakes and breads.

Okay, got it saved! Thanks for posting. :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grew up eating this recipe with white scalloped squash, but any of the same quanity would do the trick. You just have to adjust for size. You want about a quart of stewed squash. Momma grew a huge one she called a gugutsi (spelling), which I imagine I could double the recipe with one of those.
I once wanted to make a squash cake and had no squash and in place of it, I emptied a can of pumpkin. It tasted mostly the same, but I could detect the flavor of the pumpkin and, of course, the color was orange.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rhoda, that sounds good! What is a gugutsi squash and do you have picture? Seeds?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have one, myself, but my grain man did last year. If he has some planted, I'll ask him for one when I get my supplies. Its huge.