SS animal care.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I cut open and stitched two rabbits back up, oh, pulled one of their teeth too. Does that count? :D

Back in the day when the "old timers" didn't have access to vets readily it was a matter of parents teaching their kids what their parents taught them. Knowledge like that was passed down through a long line of farmers. If you didn't know how to do something you usually sought out a neighbor or someone from church to help you back in the day.

We winged it with the bunnies and got lucky!

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As far as castration - it depends on the animal... we band the goats & sheep & use a band to dock the lamb's tails. Takes about 2 weeks for the tails to fall off. We do ours young - within the first week after birth. I like the bands on these because it is less painful. As to issues with bands - we have never had an issue but we band in cool weather (no flies) & we watch our kids to insure no problem arises. Biggest problem I have had is that we have one mama goat who will bite the band off her kids - every time!!!! It took awhile for me to figure out why her male kids still had their gems... until I saw her bite the band off of one of her week old boys!
As for cattle - I cut - again while young. I use some liquid lidocaine or the lidocaine creme used by dentist to numb the scrotum. The calves do jump a little but usually do not display gross discomfort. I do not dehorn period.
I gelded 2 of the horses we found in our pasture last year. They were pathetic looking starved animals someone put in our pasture. After months of good care & deworming we gelded them. I will not "stretch" one... I used rompom for one & demoseden on the other as the rompom did not "work" on him. It was over in 10 minutes. It is not hard to do but you need to apprentance under someone knowledgeable. We see many "proud cut" geldings around here that were gelded by amatures who did not take enough (you take the testical & a small bulbous mass just below the testical) in order to keep him from acting as a stud when around mares. I personally like to split the outer protective "tunic" & strip it down & out of the way before using a castrator that cuts & pinches the veins closed. I also go by the moon signs before castrating. Signs need to be in the feet. I have never had much bleeding doing this - although I have seen horses bleed to death or if not bleed to death, bleed profusely & swell when cut in the wrong sign.
As far as cuts & wounds... just remember you only have about 5 hours to sew a wound unless you cut the edges back to fresh edges in order for it to heal. You must also know what gut to use in which layer. You cannot stitch the skin layer leaving an open spot in the muscle or you will invite absess or fluid buildup. A wound must heal from inside out & leaving a void will promote infection. Cleanliness is a must. Antibiotics are often called for but not always needed - depends on the wound, what caused it .... & so on. Many minor cuts will heal without stitching. Cuts below the knee on horses tend to scar worse (proud flesh). I am a firm believer in allowing nature to heal when possible & only providing cleaning & ointments. Many ole timers use pickling lime & grease to heal wounds with excellent success. Iodine wraps, furacin ointment, wound kote are all used extensively around here. In my experience an animal in good shape needs little for most scrapes & minor cuts.... depends on where it is. I do believe you can go overboard with antibiotics.... although I encourage the uses of tetnus antitoxin & tetanus toxoid.
As I mentioned before - find a local vet or experienced layman to follow & learn. Nothing like experience to teach you. But also be humane & compassionate & know when to call the vet if you are over your head.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have an unfair advantage, being in pre-vet school and my SO is a vet. ;)

I'm a pretty much do-it-yourself type person - even to a fault, but I am fortunate enough to be able to get instructions and advice before I try something.

I banded a male rabbit to neuter him and missed one of the testicles (but successfully amputated the scrotum) :/ SO was going to fix that "oops" for me, except that was one of the rabbits the dog killed.

I did check him frequently for the problems that my SO mentioned could happen. I would probably do it again - but more carefully!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My uncle learned from his mom how to castrate animals. He has castrated all livestock. Including the farm dogs and cats.

All of my cats have been fixed by him. By the end of the day you couldnt even tell they have been fixed. Now when I used to take my male cats into the vet. It would take them a day or two to recover from the surgery.

Never had any problems.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
So, unless I missed it, we are only hearing about cutting and banding. What about a nice set of shiny emasculators? Any experience with this tool?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do know that the earlier in life you castrate the better. When you are docking tails and castrating those lambs in the first week as you do nop169, the lambs are still receiving some colostrum in the milk or have at least recently been feeding on colostrum. This is a time when they are least likely to get any infections.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
So, unless I missed it, we are only hearing about cutting and banding. What about a nice set of shiny emasculators? Any experience with this tool?
Most of the videos I watched in regards to horse castration used them. Seemed to be the prefered method with horses, since older stallions will actually bleed dangerously, if just cut.

Latest posts