SS animal care.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The usual, BB. That the banded scrotal sac can become edematous and inflamed, finally grow some nasty bacteria because of this pocketed fluid is such a good medium for bacteria and before you know it, the animal is septic.

If you cut, on the other hand, and make your incisions small and at the direct bottom of the sac and not to one side or the other, the incision site has good drainage. A little blue kote spray is supposed to keep the insects from it and keep it from getting infected.

My sis banded a ram lamb last year and I'm betting she waited until he was pretty old to do this~she's not so bright on this stuff. :rolleyes: The sac did fall off but she found him a few days later and he had maggots crawling on a very green, gunky wound bed and he was dead.

I've heard lots of folks have great success stories using the banders and I have one of my own. I will probably band one and cut one and see how I like the results of each procedure. Banding definitely has the advantage of being quicker, less traumatic for my senses and, I'm sure, less painful for the animal.

As a nurse, I would have to say, if done properly, cutting would be the least potential for problems. Small wound, good drainage, ability to treat with disinfectant/antibiotic agent and a quick heal time for a young, healthy animal. Plus, mama can lick it and keep it clean.

Here is a couple of links on pros and cons of each method:

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/buck-wether-info.htm

http://www.castrator.com/eze_bloodless_castrator_questions/studies_band_castrating.htm

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/beef/facts/07-029.htm

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just cut 18 hogs. Tony does it all the time himself with his Dad.

Never did a horse. Tony always had the vet come out. Our vet is super reasonable on a fast cut.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You didn't warn me, FC! :lol: The look in that guy's eyes is just precious! And when the other guy says, "Whatever happened to romance? Romance is dead!" I almost joined P.I.S.S.I again!!!! :gig

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes Beekissed you have to band early.In all the years we have been doing sheep, goats, and calves,we have never had a problem. Everyone is our area uses this method.Sure saves on vet bills. We too have a med box, and attend to all of our animals problems.So far every one has made it though with no casulities.We also give all our own injections, for what ever. I would guess your sister, just didn't have the knack for it. Sorry for her what a way to lose an animal.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Our farrier used to float teeth AND geld the stallions. He did use "romp-em" (don't know how it is spelled.) to put them down for the job.

He would ask me if I wanted a fast horse or a slow horse. If I said fast, he would throw the left overs in front of the still sleeping horse's face. Said he'd be chasing after them for the rest of his life.
:p

I loved fast horses! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rompum is better than ACE definitely.
knock ya over..LOL...sure did my horses..HAHA

funny on chasing his balls for life..HA HA

yes banding is fine. must be done VERY young age to be perfect with no side effects or problems.

we band bulls all the time....no problems.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I know LOTS of people that band animals with success, however both of the veterinarians that we use do not recommend the procedure for reasons Bee already mentioned.

Regular castration is usually pretty straight forward. With a horse however I would PAY for the vet to knock them out ... just to avoid any mental traumas. A friend of mine did the same for his pair of driving oxen, even though he does the regular steers himself. He wanted them to have nothing but pleasant thoughts when it came to people.

:)