Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked up all the hoses and the extension cord for the smoker then mowed some. Still more to do. It's been two weeks so the grass was knee tall.

Have to replant greenbeans as something pulled many of them.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting hearing you all talk about elderberries.

We have a bunch here... and they always throw out a huge crop, they love our weather.

There are several different kinds of elderberry.

The one we have you have to cook, or it gives a belly ache. There is some acid or some such in it that is destroyed by cooking.

Not sure if all elderberries are like that. :idunno

We used to have even more elderberries around the house than we do now... but the goats loved them. Yum, yum. Yum.
It's my understanding that they must be cooked. However, a friend has some growing on his property, and he says that he eats a few handfuls from the bush when they are ripe. He describes them as "yummy". So, I'll harvest some from him when they ripen, then return and take cuttings this winter. The deer and mice keep eating my 2 named cultivars to the point that they never have become established. I once had a wild elderberry bush, but destroyed it, not knowing what it was. A couple of years ago, an other one popped up, but it was destroyed when a friend was bush hogging.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Alaskan that is a nice stand of elder. Green berries can be toxic but ripened, no so much. I dehydrated some for storing, froze some and made a lot of juice that I WB canned in 2019. 2020 had poorer crops and wayyyy more people foraging them! The flu control thing. Seems the fruit stops the virus from being able to latch on and replicate self. The juice is good. I didn't make syrup. About late July ours begin ripening well. Can't wait!

Today I need to pick some blackberries, saving until more are ready in a few days. Trying to beat the birds to them. 😁 next weekend should have enough for a batch of jelly/jam, etc.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Coffee break time. The drought here is officially over. It's raining, and there are flood watches in the area. Picked the first cherries off of the little cherry tree this morning. A total of three!