Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got coffee ready for y'all. No breakfast, DH has a fasting lab this morning and can't eat or drink anything. We'll have a good brunch afterward.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, there ya go -- missed one day and have 4 pages to read! 22 here this AM. Frost so heavy it LOOKS like snow -- all white. And while I like 4 seasons, this cold is way earlier than norm for my area. It is warming next 3 days compliments of rain coming tonight and staying for 3 days. Booo. At least, I don't have mud issues here. High & dry, excellent drainage and a lot of grass. So, a little "surface" slosh in a place or two - just enough to spin a wheel, or slip as you walk and you grab something to stay upright! Yeah, plenty of organic poo out there....you don't want to fall into.

So -- for those of you who think "winter is time to contemplate" -- I can tell you that if you have 15 horses, 17 goats and about 60 chickens, what you "CONTEMPLATE" is how darned hard it is to haul hot water, hay &, feed through snow, ice, mud. :idunno and then -- why are you still doing it. Of course, Spring brings the reasons -- new goat kids, fresh milk, new chicks, beautiful green grass and gardens come alive. Yep, you do it because you love to. Most years, the winters are cold but "mild" here. Far easier than those Northern climes where you don't see the ground for months! Can't do that. I'm a cold wimp. Old, thin, cold. Love my Carhartts and also ski pants. Yep, light weight and WARM. Long Johns YES!

sip... sip Bullet Proof Coffee for breakfast: strong coffee, 2 tablespoons grass fed butter, 1 scoop MCT powder, pinch of himalayan or sea salt, pinch of cinnamon. It keeps me going until about 1 in the afternoon.

Is this together?? As in mixed together? You melt butter in coffee? I am having a time getting my head around that. BUT -- butter is nothing but "fats" and, cream is "fats".....most coffee creamers you buy ARE FATS -- often not milk product -- it just sounds weird when you say it. What is MCT powder? duhhh…..not placing that.

I'm having some strong coffee -- straight up -- and contemplating the cold. LOL. Work later today, so relaxing at the moment and catching up on you guys. Sun is bright and changed the white frost into wet grass. Still cold at 31. Let's see....what can I have for breakfast?? Hmmmmm….

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well now, I never meant to imply there is NO work to be done in our winters, but there is less- the orchard trees fall asleep, the garden pulls up its pretty white blanket and rolls over, the hay fields and grain fields are dreaming. Of course the animals still need to be cared for. But winter is for dreaming over the seed catalogs!

@Mini Horses the Bullet Proof coffee is at least partly based on the tea they drink in the Himalayas-- tea with a big ol' chunk of rock salt and a knob of yak butter. MCT oil is a powdered form of coconut oil (don't ask me how they do that). It all gets zapped in the blender until it's emulsified so you don't have a layer of fat floating on top. Butter instead of cream since the cream still has a little bit of carbs in it; coconut oil MCT because the medium chain triglycerides kick you into ketosis if you weren't there already. It's surprisingly good, and as I said, the fat content keeps me going until early afternoon. It's a meal replacement rather than accompaniment to a meal, and I wouldn't recommend it for every morning because it lacks a certain amount of nutrients.

34F on the porch this morning, still dry and sunny. sip, sip Breakfast is Noatmeal (grain free porridge) with peanut butter and cinnamon added

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't even drink a couple swallows of coffee anymore. Something in it gives me a headache. It's just gotten worse as I've gotten older. I do drink a lot of tea. Kombucha is my morning drink though.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Noatmeal stands for "Not Oatmeal", @baymule it's a grain-free porridge made with hemp hearts, chia seeds, flaxmeal, almond meal and shredded coconut. When cooked it has a texture very similar to oatmeal, Nutrition info says 453 calories, 18g protein, 36g fat, and 5net g carbs (15 total but 10 are fiber and don't affect insulin). It also provides 187mg potassium, 155iu Vitamin A, and 6.5mg iron. That's just for the basic recipe.
I like to add some Swerve Brown Sugar sweetener, some cinnamon and a handful of chopped walnuts,

My favorite breakfast is still eggs with onions and peppers, and some sort of salty breakfast meat; but the chickens are only laying 1 egg a day between them all (and it's usually Trulie, the turkey- and she is leaving us tonight in the turkey raffle. Trulie is short for Trulie Delicious). Our chickens are all getting older now. I was hoping to get some chicks this summer, but it didn't happen even though we had a girl sitting on a clutch for 6 weeks. (don't know why they didn't take).

Latest posts