Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So just over 4 months later, hubby is finally cleared to return to work on limited duty. They are only working 3 days a week at the moment so that is good for him on recovery.

His workplace is very understanding. They are pretty good to their people. They reduced everyone's hours instead of laying many people off with the reduced workload. If airlines aren't flying they don't get much work.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cold snap here tonight. I went shopping early so I could start the fire. Drove back into town and saw the seafood van is here. Now regretting buying sausages from the co-op! I should really pay more attention to when these things come to town as I did really want some salmon, but I wont be able to get through both salmon and sausages. Next month I will try and be on the ball.

Currently crocheting a garden apron, but I think by the time it will be finished it will be too warm to wear it, being cheap acrylic. Are there any fibres that can be grown on a small scale? The only thing I can think of is hemp, but that might be hard to explain to the boys in blue!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I suppose you could try flax, or cotton plants?
Wool is one of those fibers that breathes so it's actually cooler to wear in hot weather than artificial fibers are. DH prefers to wear wool socks both winter and summer. He prefers them over cotton also- because cotton gets damp and clammy as you sweat, wool doesn't.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband and I wear wool socks year round. They are thin socks, not the super thick ones most people think of. My feet never get all sweaty wet like with cotton. It also stopped hubby from having smelly feet in his work boots.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ever since i took to wearing crocs my feet don't get smelly/sweaty because they can breathe. i even wear them in the winter as long as the snow isn't too deep when i'm shovelling. i also have some big honkers (aka Sorels) with the heavy felt liner which are so warm. i used to walk for many miles in them in the blizzards up north when i lived up there (15 years was enough :) ) and my feet never get cold. one of the best investments i ever made when i bought them even if they are a bit too big. when i went to buy them they were the only pair they had left at the store and i figured i could just put on extra socks. as it turns out, more room means my feet aren't cramped and get plenty of air and easy blood circulation. :) even if i feel like i'm walking with two bowling balls at the end of my legs i can still go for miles.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought some Itasca boots on heavy sale one year, half size too big. BUT, thick socks in winter. I would like the smaller size, still they are the warmest I've ever had! No cold toes out in snow, etc. Need them very seldom but that was the best $30 I ever spent! They await my needing them again. Hate cold feet -- especially working chores.

Today was 55 at wake up. Winter is coming! I would love to NOT need to wear these boots another year. 😁 NOT cold & snow fan.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought some Itasca boots on heavy sale one year, half size too big. BUT, thick socks in winter. I would like the smaller size, still they are the warmest I've ever had! No cold toes out in snow, etc. Need them very seldom but that was the best $30 I ever spent! They await my needing them again. Hate cold feet -- especially working chores.

Today was 55 at wake up. Winter is coming! I would love to NOT need to wear these boots another year. 😁 NOT cold & snow fan.

after what i lived through up north anything i've ever experienced down here is very mild in comparison. i'm not really a fan either, but i look at it as a good excuse to stay inside and read book and putter around on the computer all winter. :) and then there is bean sorting and photography i need to do, and well, i can always clean my room (or just think of it and then go take a nap :) )...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what i also meant to say above was that we used the new microwave for the first cups of morning coffee (for Mom) and hot chocolate for me. the old one was gradually going on the fritz for the past several months so we knew it was going to eventually stop working. well that happened about a week and a half ago and so we had to get a new one picked out (nobody makes white without handles right now so we had one choice of what was available).

they got it delivered and installed yesterday afternoon so we are back in business and can stop using the stove top for heating things up. that's not too bad to do, but when you're so used to just popping something in the microwave instead it's certainly a habit...

it isn't quite as powerful as the one we had before but it does get the job done so on we go... now have to figure out all the new timings for our favorite recipes. Mom does a ton of microwave caramel for various things so that will be the main one she'll have to refigure. me, i'm just happy to have most things just warmed a little so i don't like things boiling hot like Mom does. so far it seems to be about 1/3 longer time needed to get to where i want to go...