SS challenge! - 100+ steps to self-sufficiency

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Truly, I find those who prepare and can do with less are those who have already BEEN through hard times. I HAVE been there and it creates a situation.....I cannot throw out a jar of anything unless it is scraped clean, save too many things "in case". This is beyond my treasure pile of stuff.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Icertuche I hope you didn't have any lasting trouble with the yellow jacket stings! But yes, that's what I was thinking. @Britesea seems to really know which plants to use in an emergency. I'm afraid, I'd have to look it up, and then that would take time or be relying on a very uncertain phone signal.
I do however have a great stocked first aid area, and all three of us have lots of experience. I'm hoping to plant a lot of herbal plants (weeds?) on purpose and to know what they're for to better round out our knowledge, especially for use with the animals. I really like the idea of prevention rather than reaction, but want to be prepared for both.
And yes, @Mini Horses having been through situations where you needed something and weren't prepared definitely helps. Experience is a great teacher!

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You only need to know a small handful of plant medicinals to take care of emergencies; everything else can be looked up. I spent some time checking out the plants that grow in abundance in my yard- like shepherd's purse is a great coagulant for bleeding and it's all over my yard, and the plantain for stings and such. There are some plants I'd like to plant that would need a little more care (like irrigation in my arid environment) and I'm working on that.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't think of plantain!