SS Home Security

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've had more interest in home security lately. Nothing worth stealing here, but DH's job is perceived high income so people may assume we have items of value :gig

I'm drawn to non-tech, non-weapon security hacks that are more visual deterrents. "Not worth your time" cues.

Thorny landscaping plants near windows, for example.

Trimming landscaping bushes so someone cant hide behind them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I pruned back two big bushes on one side of my house. They were overdue for trimming, but needed to wait until after hard frost for a severe trim.

I would love to grow roses, raspberries, or something thorny near windows. DH says "no roses" but I think I can get away with it. 😁

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH insisted we have a security system installed years ago when he had a traveling job and was gone 2 - 5 days each week. I told him I didn't really want one because if it ever went off in the middle of the night it'd probably just scare me to death!

We still have it and it's a bit dated. No cameras or anything, but the alarm is still loud!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't like outdoor lights on all the time, but i don't mind if you have motion detecting lights that come on and then will eventually turn themselves off. the rotten thing about outdoor lights is that they can ruin your own night vision so once they come on you can't see very well if there is anything out beyond the range of the lights or if they've gotten in further and are hiding closer and you can't see them because the lights are in the way. other reasons too (wild life can be attracted to lights and i don't want them around and i also don't want to kill some animal for no reason).

Latest posts