SS in Montana

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That does help and its much appreciated!

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
BB, One of your largest challenges will be water. You can do hoop houses and green houses but I think the avg rainfall is right around 12" to 14" per year. Compare that to KY's 40" to 50" per year. BIG DIFFERENCE! There's a reason wars were fought over it. There are generally two main areas in MT sort of like KY. The western part is more mountainous and has a bit different climate than the eastern part which is very arid and full of sagebrush.

Up near Kalispell there is an area that is actually quite well known for it's cherries. Montana is a great place for raising cattle if you can afford to buy land but it takes quite quite a bit of acreage to support a cow/calf pair depending on what part of the state you are in.

There are a few cities, Bozeman, Butte, Missoula, Helena, and Billings but most of the rest of it is small communities. There's jobs in the towns if you're willing to work for minimum wage but not a lot elsewhere as far as I know for supplementing income.

Winters -eh, you learn to deal with it.

Hope that helps.
Kalispell is beautiful, but the cost of living is very high there as it is resort and with the cherrie tree 's come very high costs. Bozeman has doubled in 10 years, and it's constantly growing . A very big police state town! Can not get into it, but you do not want to be there when crap hits the fan. Butte I'd stagnant, no growth, very shady cops and no jobs! Billings is big, just over 120 thousand folks last time I looked, but not a good place to live. Also crappy land ( sagebrush) small towns like Whitehall is nice, clean and good farming area.