SS Orchards

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One day in the next couple of years, my husband and I plan on moving to Virginia and buying a farm. An orchard is definately in the plans and we have a few fruit trees here.

My SS goals, include growing the vast majority of our food. I plan to cut grocery stores out of the picture as much as possible. So, here is the question.

How many trees would supply enough fruit for a couple? Of course, we'll probably go overboard and have a TON of trees ANYWAY. But how many trees would it roughly take?

I know it depends on the people and the amount of fruit they eat and whatnot. Just round about estimates.

We both sit and dream and fantasize about our future orchard. He'll have his grapes, blueberries, and blackberries and I'll have my peach, apple, pear, cherry, and strawberries. (Okay, I know the berries aren't fruit trees but they'll probably be in the same area as the trees, since they'll be there year after year.

... I like "what if" threads, they're fun. LOL

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol over board yup I know exactly what you mean I am already there. I have a half a dozen pears , a half a dozen peaches, three sour cherries, three sweet cherries, two plums, and a half a dozen apples along the lane. Of course they are all mixed variates two of this and two of that. I wanted ones for fresh eating, others for canning and making pie fillings with. Oh and don't forget wine making :D There is nothing better then having home canned peaches in February if you ask me ;)

I have plans for more too. I have holes already dug for three more apple trees and I would like to have some apricots for drying yet in the orchard area. We also have 4 concord grapes for eating and wine. Blueberries, raspberries and strawberries as well.

Anyway you could probably get away with two of each that you want. Most fruit trees need two different variates to pollinate and produce well. So it is best to plan on having two from the beginning.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
;) Really, fruit trees ARE like potato chips.

We bought 2 apple trees our first year here, and now we have 5 apple trees, 3 nectarines, 2 cherries, and 2 pears. We're adding to it next year.

Remember that it take a few years to get any real crop from your trees and bushes, so be prepared to wait a bit.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think variety is the key to having enough fruit.

Last year we got barely any peaches. I was glad that we had some plums and access to pears and apples. I think we have maybe 10 peach trees, we have 2 plum trees, one apple tree, lots of grapevines (they are on the neighbors property, but grow over and through the fence, so we have plenty) a cherry tree ( it has not produced yet), two blueberry bushes and lots of wild blackberries also thanks to the neighbor. We feel we have essentially enough peach trees, grapes and blackberries. We keep planting more peach trees though, because at least half of the trees are old and dying. We also planted an apricot tree last year. We hope to plant another peach and maybe a pear tree this year.
We have lots of different varieties of peaches. They bloom and ripen at different times, so we can have peaches as early as the beginning of June through the end of September. We have wild plums available, thanks to out neighbor and two different plum trees, one is a burbank plum the other is an italian plum. The italian plum is good for drying (prunes) and baking and eating fresh. Our apple tree has 5 different varieties on it. It is fairly young and not producing much yet. I hope to get at least one more apple tree. We also need more blueberry bushes.

There is only the two of us, but we can sell or give away our surplus. You can never have too many fruit trees :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Do some research on orchard mason bees!

I have an apple, pear, plum and cherry orchard (all in one, mostly apples tho) that has been "raised" organically with the help of orchard mason bees.

You are going to have to learn how to prune! :p It is not as hard as I thought it would be. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
BBH, pruning is definitely an important part of orchard management. We spend quite a bit of time every winter pruning. We also do spray a dormant oil spray to prevent peachleaf curl. It is an organic product though. SO does it, I don't even know what it is, but I did reasearch it some time ago.
We empty the rabbit's litter box under the peach trees for fertilizer and at least once a year we slightly rototill, to keep the weeds down and aerate the soil.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I have to look at pruning soon. Next winter likely. I watched a gardening show the other night where they were talking about pruning and I have to say up until watching that show I've been really nervous about pruning. Watching the lady do it, and making it look so simple was great. I like having visuals.

I have a tree-lette to prune off one of my nectarines this year lol.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Actually you might be surprised at how FEW fruit trees you actually need.

I have a Red Haven peach tree that is a dwarf. (see my avatar) I regularly get 60 plus pounds of fruit from it alone in a year! I also have a fruit cocktail tree which is grafted with peach, apricot, plum and nectarine branches. It tends to bloom way early so sometimes the buds freeze but it will supply us with another 50 - 60 pounds of fruit when it bears.

I have a new dwarf cherry, which is still too young to bare much, but for years I had 3 cherry BUSHES that kept me in pie and jam fruit.

I also have 4 grape vines, a couple dozen Black Raspberry bushes and another couple dozen thornless Blackberry bushes, plus I grow strawberries as well.

My sis has a pear tree and an apple tree and she usually gives me all of those I can use as well.

These provide all of the fruit we eat - pretty much ... we still buy bananas, pineapples and some extra strawberries for jam each year. :)

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you are happy with your cocktail tree by the sounds of things? I have been thinking about getting one just to try it out but wasn't sure if it would live up to all the hype.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The neatest part in my opinion is the fact that it has different shaped leaves on different branches and even blossoms in different colors at different times. My tree is planted in the front near the street and people often stop to comment about it.

I never thought the danged thing would grow either, but it has been great for many years. Currently it has a bit of a peach disease and needs spraying, but this is the first problems I have had.

Latest posts