SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Just want to wish ya's a Happy Anniversary!!! :hugs
Thanks Dawn! Unfortunately, since DH is across the state, I will be celebrating alone :hit but, as I keep telling him, at least this way it will take us longer to get sick of each other! :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
My brother is about the only one who "gets" me. He and I were cut from the same mold, but the rest of my family seems to have been skipped the "cool genes". A few days ago I was talking to dad on the phone and mentioned how I was making bread. He said "why? Isn't it more expensive to make your own?" I said well no, it's a bag of flour and this and that. He's like but it costs so much to buy all that when you can spend a dollar or two on a loaf of bread. I just explained that my little two dollar bag of flour will make MANY loaves of bread and now that $4 for 2lbs of yeast will make a TON of bread. Other than that, it wasn't a big deal. My mom though, ugh. When I had the ducks at her house, and when something came through and slaughtered all but one, she kept telling everyone how she can't wait for something to kill the last one and wished it had gotten the others a long time ago. When I got the new ducks, she kept telling George "you know they poop right?" Like, no, the man is 64 years old and hasn't figured out yet that ducks crap. :rolleyes: Luckily, George is very on board with me. He makes enough money to go buy decent food, but he has NEVER said anything bad about any of my endeavors. The worst he said about them is when I said we were getting new laying hens and he said "that'll be more feed". Other than that, he's been very helpful and mostly just says "they're your birds, you do whatever you like with them". My brother keeps reminding me that once he gets his property ready that I have to help him with birds. He was asking about the incubator and after a good conversation he said "well, the heck with that, I'll just have you hatch them out when I need new ones" lol. He's also taking me hunting on his grounds to get venison this year. So, I have all the support that I need anyways. I wish everyone was so lucky!
Most of BOTH our families act the same way about my making bread! The MOST important reason we eat HM bread is...drumroll please... it tastes better! If we are not trying to force you to bake your own, what should it matter to you if we do??

DH was slow to get on board with me on this. He picked on me once or twice about different things. Once he began to see the benefits, he jumped on board with both feet! :lol: Now, he marvels at how far 'he's' come! I cut him slack though, after all, he was a city boy :D My family, I'll NEVER understand! :rolleyes:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Sounds like the universe is giving you a pretty big test of your values. I hate it when that happens. I do have to say it has happened to me recently, too, so it must be going around. The energy has been rather wonky lately, so I'm not really surprised. As they say 'this too shall pass...'
:hugs
Stick to your guns and your guts.
Target practice might not be a bad idea, of course you do want to be careful that they don't decide to try to break in. Don't know what the rules are for TN as far as getting a concealed carry permit, but it could be worth looking into if you're that concerned (I think I would be at that point...)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually find it weird that you guys seem to be getting such foul (fowl? lol) attitudes about it. The nation seems to be coming towards our values more... People seem to be more into natural, homegrown foods and such... So why are certain people still so against it?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Happy Anniversary other Cindi :hu I hope you have a good seperate one. DH and I have :p It's when we got together today we found trouble :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Happy Anniversary other Cindi :hu I hope you have a good seperate one. DH and I have :p It's when we got together today we found trouble :lol:
DH, apparently, mailed me a sappy mushy card at some point this week, and it arrived today :D That's pretty thoughtful, considering I only realized it was today after reading your post and checking the date :hide :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I actually find it weird that you guys seem to be getting such foul (fowl? lol) attitudes about it. The nation seems to be coming towards our values more... People seem to be more into natural, homegrown foods and such... So why are certain people still so against it?
That is an excellent question, Bettacreek, and I would really like to know the answer to it! :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Wannabefree said:
DH, apparently, mailed me a sappy mushy card at some point this week, and it arrived today :D That's pretty thoughtful, considering I only realized it was today after reading your post and checking the date :hide :lol:
Aw that was sweet. My hubster doctored my foot, and he has been feeling really bad about leaving that board there with nails in it. Poor guy. While I was working this morning he cleaned house for me, as an anniversary present since as he put it "we is po' folk, and I can't get you nothing" :lol: Sweeping the floor is what got his allergies stirred up. I can NOT sweep when he's in the house! He is so allergic to dust he has an attack almost every time. Dunno what possessed him to sweep himself knowing what would happen, but he did, for me. Now we can both feel guilty for our tenth anniversary :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
SSDreamin said:
Wannabefree said:
Aw that was sweet. My hubster doctored my foot, and he has been feeling really bad about leaving that board there with nails in it. Poor guy. While I was working this morning he cleaned house for me, as an anniversary present since as he put it "we is po' folk, and I can't get you nothing" :lol: Sweeping the floor is what got his allergies stirred up. I can NOT sweep when he's in the house! He is so allergic to dust he has an attack almost every time. Dunno what possessed him to sweep himself knowing what would happen, but he did, for me. Now we can both feel guilty for our tenth anniversary :lol:
:hugs It's the thoughtfulness that counts, right? ;) "we is po' folk" too, so DH said he agreed to stay there and work tomorrow, as my gift :lol: I told him tonight when he called that you and your hubby have the same anniversary, and he said "Hey! They got married on a Friday too!" He has this freaky ability to tell what day of the week our anniversary fell on, all 15 prior years (apparently our six anniversary was on a Friday :p ) - I told him that just proved he was an Idiot Savant freak, and that we are COMPLETE opposites! :gig

Hope your foot gets better - and hope you wait a while to tell your DH, so you get extra spoiled ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Thanks Dawn! Unfortunately, since DH is across the state, I will be celebrating alone :hit but, as I keep telling him, at least this way it will take us longer to get sick of each other! :lol:
Doc and I have that same attitude! :lol: When we first got together, he had a few different "traveling" jobs and we were always glad to be together when he got home.

After we made our move to AR, he tossed around the idea of working a river job (tugs/barges) all up and down the Mississippi River. I was all for it if that's what we wanted/felt like he needed to do in order for us to keep the bills paid. Our attitude about it totally freaked out most of the family and our friends. :idunno About 3/4ths of the family can't believe that I'm not afraid to be here by myself at night and I just don't get it! I just tell them that I've got a gun and a dog and whoever thinks about messin' around here after dark is the one that need to be afraid. :gig