SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks MFB and BB!

frustratedearthmother said:
I think it was meant for you to hear his story, and I'm so glad he was there to tell you. :hugs
Wannabefree
The dog knew his master needed to tell you that smile VERY cool story! I'm glad you got somereassurance that your son was a great kid to not just you, but apparently MANY people, that's awesome!
That's what I thought! Ranger made me notice/talk to the man, and his comments soothed my heart!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
:hugs Miss you SSD! What a great story and affirmation that the "Universe" sends you what you need when you need it!! :hugs

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Stopping by to see how you have been SSD, hope to see you back soon :D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm here BB - just busy :p Not WBF busy, but DH is off work, so I've had to get going on my part of the 'must do before the snow flies' list. Right now, I'm hiding out instead of doing some dehydrating that I've already pushed off for days :hide

Cheerio - I like to think it was my DS#1, watching over me and doing his part to pull me out of the funk I was in ;)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Today is my DS#1's birthday. He would've been 29 today. I would be feeling pretty old today, but I used to tell him he was a miracle baby because I had him when I was 6! So, 35, eh, that's not old! :lol: Sure do miss your face, Budro boy!
I have been there myself and I am sorry for your loss. My only DS would have been 35 in September. :hugs

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Corn Woman

We made a trip down to the old house yesterday - DH ordered some stuff, forgot to change our address, and UPS delivered there :rolleyes: So, we went down to pick it up. Wow! They have made some BIG changes to our old house - it looks fantastic! Got to stop by next door and visit a bit, plus see the progress on the farmhouse kitchen. Our old neighbor's are so awesome! They are masters at re-purposing! I was admiring a unique chandelier they have. She had picked up several 'fancy' teacups, just because. He took a yardsale find chandelier, drilled holes in the bottom of the cups, and used them as shades! The end result was so beautiful!! He also found some interesting ceiling lights (very pretty swirled glass with scalloped edges) for a dollar each. He flipped them over, made a few modifications, and turned them into pendant lights that will hang above their island - which will be made from several different scrounged cabinets! He even had an amazing cabinet he made - to fit two cabinet doors he found! When I try to explain what they are doing, people ask "So, the kitchen looks like a hodge-podge of junk thrown together?" NO! I need to remember my camera, because it all goes together beautifully, not matching, but tying together like a professional designed it. Those two are my heroes! :lol:

Today the pig girls are moving out of the pigball pen and into their new, 1/4 acre pasture! It was definitely time. There are lots of trees, lots of grass to root up, and DH is expanding their hutch, to help shield them from our harsh winter winds. They have more than doubled in size since we got them and they have become spoiled rotten prima donnas, just like the rest of our animals :gig

Ferdinand is LOVING his own space! We still don't know if Ice Cream is preggers, but she hasn't cycled since the end of August :fl

We have family giving us fits, about poop of all things! DH and I shoveled out poo all last winter/this year, and made a big compost pile for us to use on our garden this fall. It has combo poo (pig, cow and chicken), to really give our garden an over winter boost for Spring. Well, a family member asked for poo for their garden, and I said sure! Come and get it - it's out in the pasture, just go scoop up as much as you need! DH was a little upset at me saying that, as he wants it to break down out there and feed the pasture :hide Anyway, the family member acted offended that we wouldn't give them a large portion of our compost pile! :ep I told DH we need to get that poo on the garden, NOW! Then, when they show up to 'steal my poo' it will all be gone :D Let the Poo War begin!!! :lol:

I have dehydrated a bunch of really hard tomatoes that were given to us. The plan is to grind them into tomato powder.
I rendered half the leaf lard. Ended up with 8 1/2 pints of it. I think 17 pints (once it's all done) will last us a good long while! It took me forever to render it, and I made some mistakes (the worst being that I let it get too hot at the end, so 3 pints are slightly tan colored, and will be used for frying). All in all, it was a good first time effort.
DS#2 and I did up about 40# of potatoes, 99% of which were made into hash browns. What can I say? We eat lots of hash browns! :p
Today I am making bread, making homemade garlic bread (to put in the freezer), and I'm going to use part of my homemade granola to make breakfast bars with a new recipe I found. That will be IF DH quits nagging me to go outside and knock a few things off my 'Things that need to be done outside before the snow flies' list :p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is protective of my poop (now that was a weird sounding sentence, huh?). I have a couple nice compost piles of chicken/goat/horse poop and I was generous earlier in the year and delivered (yes, I bagged it up and delivered it) about 20 feed bags of compost to a family member. We unloaded it and set it out in her garden area where she wanted to be in charge spreading it herself. The last time I went by there it was still sitting there in bags....not being used....GRRRRRRRRRR! I wanted to take it back! So, I don't blame you one bit for holding on to yours! :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am over protective of it. :p I dare anyone to dump it or use it without written consent :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Whereas I would only be more than happy to give someone as much horse poop as they could use.