Stale bread?

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a large loaf of really, really stale garlic bread. It is so hard I have a terrible time trying to cut it for toast, when it's toasted it is so tough we can't chew it.. I am determined to do SOMETHING with it..LOL. I tried soaking a few slice in some milk and it was so hard I threw it out --it was to tough to even feed to the dogs. I was afraid they would get chocked. Anyone have a recipe to use it --maybe in stews, soups etc--something that the juice could/would soften it.. I feel so guilty when I throw out something.. Thanks for any tips..Dixie

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love tough bread!

Could you toast it really crunchy for croutons?

My dogs would have no trouble with it, but they are large.

Sorry I am not much help. Cooking is not an area in which I excel! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bake it in slices on a cookie sheet until light and crumbly.....put it in a bread sack and roll it with a rolling pin until its in fine crumbs.....and roll chicken in it to bake or fry!!!

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love bread pudding but with garlic?? LOL It's really good bread, I too love tough bread but this will break a tooth I am afraid... :D

I'll have to try making bread crumbs.. I'll put it in my food processor--I had not thought of that.. Italian bread crumbs!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's how my grandma used to make her chicken breading and sometimes mixed it with crushed corn flakes. The garlic makes it even tastier!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Bread crumbs made that way are much bettter than prepackaged storeboughten dry breadcrumbs... and from garlic bread they should be *wonderful* :)

You can also put chunks in your blender, supposing you have a blender, to reduce them to crumbs.

Have fun :)

Pat

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bread crumbs here too. I have a large ziploc bag in the freezer I just keep adding hard bread too, when I need it I take it out and smash it. The garlic would add such a nice flavor.

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I made the bread crumbs with my food processor, they turned out beautifully.. I used about 1/8th of them last night for breading my chicken and served it with Feta cheese and noodles, toss salad..and it was wonderful!! I don't know why I never thought of crumbs..Thanks everyone Dixie