Stargazing

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I lived in S.A. I spend many evening hours looking at the sky and I miss seeing some of our southern stars now, when I look up. It's such a humbling and wonderful experience, gazing up at the universe and feeling such a tiny part of something so amazing...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, I forgot about that, the "benefit" from power failures! Another S.A. thing I definitely don't miss is the "load shedding" to relieve pressure on the grid and the hours of darkness in the evenings. Our house at one point overlooked the town and we used to go sit outside just before the power was due to come back on, to watch the place suddenly light up like an Xmas tree. That completely, undiluted darkness does make for some amazing starry nights though!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're too cloudy much of the year. They sky glows in the direction of Puyallup and Tacoma so no stars that way even on a clear night. No other house really close enough to our house to interfere with stargazing. We don't keep lights on outside at night

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have much in the way of light pollution by me. Only outside lights here is one I keep on in the barn, at the end by the open access door for the one horse and the goat family using those 2 stalls. I had a young skunk that wanted to use the barn, too. The light at night kept it out. I'm sure it's retrained by now but, still it's left on.:D Past couple months I've had several nights getting home from work at dark & it's just easier to feed them with it on.

Tonight would be a good star night here -- clear, dark of moon and all.

Latest posts