Startin Seeds Indoors

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i started various seeds in cow pots tomatoes egg plant peppers cucumbers i just planted them yesterday i made the mistake i put plastic over them and put them in DIRECT sun light they were in it for about 4 hours today they were in the mournin sun in the east window then they were in the south window today for a few hours i checked the dirt and it was HOT i hope i just did not burn all the seeds and have to replant them all i took them out of the window left the plastic on them and put them back in the east window they can just have the mournin sun its not as strong i took one pot out and dumped the soil and put fresh tomato plants in it to see those come up what do yall think? how long should i wate before i decide to replant ?

The Mama Chicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I think they'll probably be just fine. They are all seed that comes up best in warm soil. I know a lot of people use heat mats to get their peppers and eggplants to germinate.

The Mama Chicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
They don't actually need light until they sprout, so I wouldn't put them in the window until they break through the soil. I think they'll still come up just fine, though.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Either light or dark is fine. Some of mine are started in the greenhouse in full light, others I start in my germination chamber (dark) until they've just sprouted a tiny bit, then immediately into full light so they don't get leggy. Good luck!

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so is it just a false thing that a person can burn seeds?>?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You can get them too hot. That's one reason to compost horse manure for awhile. It kills any seeds that could be in the manure because of the heat.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
how long should i wate before i decied replant?

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had mine under lights indoors for about 6 weeks. I started moving them outside in the daytime to harden them off a few days ago (plus 2 of the squash varieties looked a little yellowish and I thought the sun would help.... and forgot the trays outside overnight. Most everything looked pretty good so as impatient as I am I actually planted all the butternut. They look terrible now. It was about 42 that night. I should have made hot caps out of old milk cartons or something. Well That will teach me.