Starting a business....questions

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have been seriously thinking about starting my own small business....however I seem to be dragging my feet and could use a little kick.

We live in suburbia with average smallish sized lots of land. I wanted an organic garden and we have very hard rocky soil, so DH & I built a nice raised bed and put a little picket fence around it and then lined the picket fencing with chicken wire to keep wild bunnies out. The thing is only 100sq ft but it is really cute...and jammed packed!

So I thought that since most suburbanites are typically not very in tune with gardening, nature and growing their own veggies, coupled with this down economy, creating organic gardens for people to grow their own veggies in would be a good idea. I figure I would build it, dig and amend the soil and plant the plants, all for a fee. Then they could tend the garden or hire me on a weekly/biweekly basis to tend to their garden (remember these are backyard sized gardens) and they can reap the benefits of going out back and plucking the fruits of my labor :)

I live in an upscale community where organic is very trendy and yet it is more important for most to maintain a nice manicure than tend a garden:(

Can I get your feedback? I know some of you are real farmers and I am not very clear on the legalities of calling a garden organic. I am thinking that I really need to work on pricing right up front as I will need help hauling compost and wood and probably help with other things as well..building the garden enclosure, some digging (I am getting old!) etc.
As soon as football & cheer is over (early Dec), I can set up a little booth at our local farmers market, sell seedlings and market my gardens. I could really use some guidance though. I feel as if stepping into the unknown is risky, and yet I need to start bringing in some income and gardening is what I love. Am I crazy?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Dace - Great idea - things to consider?
If they hire you on weekly basis to tend a garden make sure you have a legally binding contract with fees and terms spelled out. If you have someone in your area that provides lawn cutting services maybe you could get them to tell you their rates and contract terms.
Make sure your contract spells out that you are not responsible for the garden in the event of drought, bugs, wind, flood, etc damage.
You will have to be responsible for seeds or plants that do not germinate or that die within a specified time frame (you choose that time frame). But be sure you keep some extras on hand.
Check Government regs on calling it organic. I think just to be on the safe side myself I would simply call it the back yard garden and let the customer decide if they wanted organic or not. Print out some type of phamplet explaining the difference between organic, home grown and commercialy grown. Commercial outfits use a lot of pesticieds and chemicals not to mention "Test Hybrids" that will most likely never show up in your normal small scale backyard garden.
Of course you will have to know true organic gardening if you offer this service. Otherwise just offer a simple backyard garden.
Decide which types of plants you are going to provide. Maybe a list of several different types of tomatos, beans, lettuce etc and then let the customer decide from 1 or 2 of each type.
You will have to spell out the garden size. Maybe have several sizes available with different quantites of plants they can choose from for each size.
In your contract you can ask for a deposit. Example: 8' x 15' raised bed garden with 6 types of plants cost $250.00
for bed and plants. Deposit can be $80.00 with $80.00 due upon completion of bed prior to plants being set and the remaining $90.00 due upon your arrival with plants prior to setting plants out or upon your completion. Depends on if you want your money before or after you finish the project.
These are just a few things that come to my mind. You really need to research, research, research.
But the idea sounds appealing and I like it.
Good luck

Edited because I forgot to ask - Where are you located? Make sure you have a definate plant guidline for your customers for your area.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Also, if I am not mistaken, to be certified organic, the soil must be tested and been clear of herbicide/pesticide for 7 years. I would be leary of calling it organic, although you could declare that the way you work the land would be organic in nature.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I think that you can't call it organic either but you can that you say will garden without pesticides. Remember there are organic standards for compost and plants too.
I would also think about charging a consultation fee- doesn't have to be large -something where you go to the home and go over whether they can have a garden or not- where it needed to be placed, what plants they want vs what will really grow, etc.
Then an hourly fee for design (otherwise you will be at it with some people for months as they keep change their minds or adding or subtracting things.)
Then you need insurance of some kind. What if they blame you for the death of a tree or plant, or if you shovel into an irrigation system or trample the grass, etc? Remember to have them approve the plans in writing before you start. If they say dig here, and here cuts into a pipe- well that is their fault.
But altogether I think it is a great idea. I'd try it on a couple of people first in a small way just to test the waters but I think you could make a go of it for sure.
Just don't trust that someone who looks rich on the outside, really is. Go with your gut feeling about them but get some money up front-lol

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
All good points thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Contracts and insurance are good points. I would probably break down the fees into 3 increments as suggested. I would start and alot of seed myself and try to keep extras of what I plant on hand in the event of failure, just keep transplanting into bigger containers to the point that it is not practical I guess.

I am in a mild climate (so cal) and I would create a menu of planing options based on the season so that people can choose the types of plants that they eat. I would offer several varieties as was suggested above, ( an assortment of heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors, cherry toms in red, gold, yellow pear etc)

I appreciate the input on the term Organic. I guess after more reading, I would simply explain that this would be the start to developing an organic garden or more along the lines of implementing Organic techniques...or then again just focus on healthy soil and minimizing chemicals.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is a kinda good idea BUT you are kinda a garden landscaper in a way....and you would need bond insurance, and you would be driving and hauling and have to constantly make the run to people's home on a weekly basis.

ALOT of customer involvement here and believe me, when dealing with customers I steer clear of as much "involvement" as I can with a service type business. People are trouble..HA HA HA

Maybe a CSA. Increase your garden. Put flyers on doors offering boxes of "natural" produce from your garden. Organic you can say, but not "certified" organic.....but safest to say is natural. Cause saying organic some people assume "certified" and that is like the 7 years soil chemical free, dedicated water source, no treated lumber within like 200 yards etc. etc. of the garden.....SO....A CSA means customer money up front for the season. You get ALOT of cash fast. You can research CSA real fast on the net. They tell ya step by step how to offer. AND you make a collection spot. Everyone comes to you. Don't offer the "I will drive to your home and drop off the CSA"---offer 1 time per week come to my home and get your CSA.
Then if you are at a farmers market you can bring the CSA there and have customers pick up.

Not saying you shouldn't do it cause it might be right up your alley dealing with people and their yards (and they can be finicky and wierd)---so heading toward a CSA on your terms would be more ideal if you aren't "quite" the people person like me..HA HA

just rambling....hope some of that helps ya!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Karen. I am not sure...I mean you do make good points about dealing with customers and they can be an enormous pain in the arse ;)

If we do get to keep our home, I plan to turn most of the yard into edibles yet, I don't have that much room...certainly not enough to supply multiple families with their produce...maybe in a few years, but I doubt it.

Argh....so many thoughts! Just not sure what direction to go! But I really believe in eating out of your own backyard and would like to help guide families to rely a little less on food that has been trucked across the country AND teach families how to garden and have fun in the yard together...and dang it if I knew how to build a chicken coop that would be in my offerings as well....even though I do not have any chicks yet (too unstable here!) I firmly believe that they are an important part of a garden.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You could start classes. Maybe charge $25 per person to come to your home and learn tried and true gardening techniques.

See one farm here, Grateful Growers, they did something ingenius. They grow some ****ake mushrooms on logs for market. Well, they charged $75 per person for a class to learn to make these logs. Like a 6 hr. course in 1 day. They gave each customer 2 take home logs.

Well they had like 90 people sign up and paid in advance. They had about 1500 (guesstimate) logs to inocculate with spore plugs. Told each one to bring a cordless hand drill with whatever size bit and yup they did.....so they literally plugged ALL their logs for them. All the farm labor to plug these logs was done by paying customers. Now that was smart. Labor done, money earned and what a "scam"---well not scam...HA HA HA....but great way to get'er done!!!!! Talk about FAB money!!

just think hard. Prepping and making gardens is super hard work......ugh....I guess my time in the farm is showing..HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace said:
I appreciate the input on the term Organic. I guess after more reading, I would simply explain that this would be the start to developing an organic garden or more along the lines of implementing Organic techniques...or then again just focus on healthy soil and minimizing chemicals.
Around here its 4 years and having one's soil tested, to become certified organic. Some folks skip to the chase by advertising "Noncertified Organic" if they have not, or do not, use chemicals with their gardening.