Starting from scratch!-Now I'm Excited!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been a few months and I may be changing my mind about the location of the vegetable garden. The area I chose is a bit far from the house (thinking I may hate that when I'm older) and the trees are really big that would have to come down. I have another thought. On the south-west of the property is an area above a retaining wall that could be cleared and regraded a bit to make it more level. It's within view of the kitchen and my bedroom upstairs. I could look at it all the time and I wouldn't have to trek across the property to pick veggies for dinner. It would be easier to get the irrigation out to it too. I'm thinking this area and a square taken out south and east of it behind the playhouse(see pic). To the west are two driveways and beyond that is a neighbor's side yard. It's so hard to tell what the sun exposure will be like at this time of year. I'm not sure that the neighbors trees will cast a shade or not. I've used that findmyshadow.com, but I think I still won't get an exact idea till the middle of the summer. I don't think the garden will be quite as big putting it in this location, but I think I will enjoy it more and will be more prone to pick and care for it given it's proximity to my house. Here's a pic I took in October. You can get an idea of the are here. It's very shaded with the trees now, but imagine them gone (they're not big and they're oak-great for the fireplace) and the slope leveled out.

1222_img_2723.jpg

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
IMHO, it looks like a great spot! Put in a few steps up to the area and I think it would be perfect! :thumbsup

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh your place looks lovely...
with the right amount of light I am sure it will be absolutely wonderful :thumbsup

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cheepo said:
oh your place looks lovely...
with the right amount of light I am sure it will be absolutely wonderful :thumbsup
Thank you! We just bought it last October. Trying to settle in.

Yes, I'm hoping that area gets enough daylight hours to give me a nice garden. I'd like enough veggies to feed my family of four during the growing season and enough to can some for the winter. We use a lot of tomatoes, so I'll need to plant lots of them. I've read that tomatoes like a western exposure.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I walked around my yard the last couple of days and now I'm excited! I think putting the veg garden up on top of the area where the retaining wall is going to work nicely! Maybe I'll plant berry bushes down in front of it too! I'm so excited! Can't wait to get my hands in the soil!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Same here! If spring ever gets here.