starting making goat cheese

Vickir73

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
with ACV, but I can't get it to keep a creamy texture. It is very crumbly, better for salads. Is it because I'm using ACV? Made two different batches this weekend. First batch drained about 30 minutes, second batch drained about 15. Is nice until I put it in the frig, then it dries out. The flavor is still yummy, but I'd like more of a cream cheese texture. Will using rennet make a difference?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Way to go Vicki!! It might not have had the texture you wanted, but I bet it tasted good! You just gotta take a minute to be real proud of yourself for your first efforts. Wish I had advice to give you, but you are way out in front of me. :thumbsup

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vickir73 said:
with ACV, but I can't get it to keep a creamy texture. It is very crumbly, better for salads. Is it because I'm using ACV? Made two different batches this weekend. First batch drained about 30 minutes, second batch drained about 15. Is nice until I put it in the frig, then it dries out. The flavor is still yummy, but I'd like more of a cream cheese texture. Will using rennet make a difference?
Yes, using rennet will make it even more "solid/crumbly" when drained and cooled.
You might try using White Vinegar or Lemon Juice instead of Apple Cider Vinegar.

What you need to do to make it like cream cheese is.... after draining the whey out of the cheese, get out your food processor. Crumble the cheese in the food processor bowl, add some butter, equal to about 1/4 the amount of the cheese. Whirl that around, while it is whirling.... add a bit of whipping cream. NOT TOO MUCH, just a tablespoon or two, just to loosen up the cheese a bit. When whirled around the cream turns butter. Then let it whirl around until it is a nice creamy texture. Keep testing it by taking off the lid and tasting or rubbing between your fingers until it is creamy and not full of small lumps. It will be rather soft, but if you put it in a small loaf pan lined with plastic wrap, then let it sit over night in the fridge, it will harden up.

I use the "cream cheese" from that recipe with Basil Pesto and a Sun Dried Tomatoes to make a cheese torte. You put in a layer of cheese, then a layer of Pesto, then more cheese, then a layer of tomato ending with cheese.

Tastes great with thinly sliced french bread brushed with olive oil, and toasted in the oven for a short time, until the bread is crisp but not burned! (I burn a lot of my little "toasts" accidently.) I now heat the oven at 350, while I slice the bread and brush it with oil, then put the slices on a cooling rack inside a cookie sheet, TURN OFF THE OVEN, put the cookie sheet in the oven, shut the door and leave them until they cool off, take them out and put teh nice srispy toasts in a ziplock bag.

I serve a goat cheese torte every week at our congregation. People love the cheese fixed that way.

Here is a loaf decorated with Basil and Garlic Chive flowers
9242011GoatCheeseTorteBestOneemail.jpg

Last week I used Rosemary and Cosmos Flower to decorate the cheese,

8262012CosmosCheese009email.jpg

Because... grasshoppers had about destroyed all my Basil!!

8232012GrasshoppereatenBasilemail.jpg

And here is a slice of cheese on a little "toast"
9242011GoatCheeseToast04bestone.jpg

I also make some sweet cheese tortes using Dates and Walnuts, or Apricot and Almonds. Same idea, you just process the dates until they are a paste, same with dried apricots, but I use some apricot jelly to thin them out a bit. I use Date syrup to thin out the processed dates.

The sweet cheese is made the same way, just add a bit less salt, and use powdered sugar whille the cheese is whipped in the processor. Then you can use any flavor of jelly with it, and on a graham cracker... It tastes just like a cheese cake!!

Here are the photos of those cheeses... but I didn't take a photo of them with they were cut!! I need to do that.

Apricot Almond Torte
62512GoatCheeseApricotAlmondemail.jpg

Date Walnut Torte

62512GoatCheeseDateNutemail.jpg

I got this Torte recipe from ....

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Goat-Cheese-604/Beginners-Goat-Cheese-907.aspx

BasicallyHeather

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow, your cheeses are gorgeous! I can't wait until we get our goats this fall or next spring. I dream of fresh, raw milk!! :)

Vickir73

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Rebbetzin, I saw your recipe and the link you followed somewhere else and printed it out to take home and try. Thank you for letting me know how to get the creamy texture. I saw somewhere else that I should put it in the mixer, but thought I might just be able to add some whey back into it to make it creamier. I will follow your steps and hopefully mine will turn out just as yummy as your sounds :) Thank you!!

Vickir73

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Baymule, Hey!!! you are more than welcome to come over and try some!! I'm headed to a chicken show this Saturday, but will be home Sunday :)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vickir73 said:
Rebbetzin, I saw your recipe and the link you followed somewhere else and printed it out to take home and try. Thank you for letting me know how to get the creamy texture. I saw somewhere else that I should put it in the mixer, but thought I might just be able to add some whey back into it to make it creamier. I will follow your steps and hopefully mine will turn out just as yummy as your sounds :) Thank you!!
I think adding whey might not give you a creamy texture, since it is watery, it might cause it to go "goatie" quicker. I feed my whey to the dog and chickens, and to my plants.

Vickir73

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't given any to the chickens yet, but the pig loves it :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Vickir73 said:
Baymule, Hey!!! you are more than welcome to come over and try some!! I'm headed to a chicken show this Saturday, but will be home Sunday :)
I would love to!!