Starting over!

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I agree with Deb that the BMI thing is bogus. The BMI charts say that I'm underweight, and I can't do a lick about it. It is what it is for me, and I'm healthy, and strong for my size.
You might want to look up Mark's Daily Apple blog for some info about eating healthy. www.marksdailyapple.com In my opinion it fits right in with farm living and growing/raising your own foods, and I have not come across anything that logically makes more sense than his concept of The Primal Blueprint.

Best of luck on your journey! There are LOTS of smart people here, I'm sure you'll be able to get lots of help and ideas!
I've actually been looking into a primal or paleo diet, but hadn't seen that link! Thanks :) I'm thinking of going paleo until I actually get my own goats for milk and things, then switching more to primal :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
RedneckCowgirl said:
~gd said:
Rambling again but have you ever looked into something like that? ~gd
Sort of. I have worked at various horse farms cleaning stalls/training/feeding and even had a temporary job managing a horse breeding operation. But it seems like I spend more money getting to and from every farm job I've looked into then what I would be making.
If you can find one that provides housing, that would take care of that problem. While they're getting harder to find, they are out there.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Paleo and Primal are both good concepts. Just gotta figure out what works for you. :) Mark has a TON of info on that website! It'll suck away your time quick fast and in a hurry! :p

I hope you post your journey here because it sounds like its going to be really interesting!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey! We have a tent like the one you linked! DH got it for hunting, before we got the trailer. I would keep an eye out on CL, or similar, for a used one, might be less than half the price that way :hu

As for the BMI, it is a point of contention with my DH and I. A few years back, the gov't changed the BMI chart so, people who used to be 'obese' suddenly found themselves in the 'morbidly obese' category. I will stop there, because I could rant for hours on why they did it, but let's just say, I ignore my number. :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BMI depends. Typically, you can look at a person and tell if the BMI is a problem. Excess fat IS a problem, because it messes with your system. Fat stores and releases more estrogen which can cause problems later in life, not to mention the issue of possible diabetes.

I'm not sure if you're really into the idea of a tent or not, but you might be able to get a trailer for cheap or even free.

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DenimDeb- The temp job I had running the breeding facility was a live on site position, but I have two big dogs and a cat, and not many people will take that many animals, if any.

hgueen- I'm a carb addict, so it will be difficult to begin with, but totally worth it! :)

SSDreamin - How do you like the tent? Is it pretty easy to keep warm?

Bettacreek- I did consider a trailer for a while actually, but the cheapest I've found is about $3,000, which is $2,000 that can go towards property if I get a tent. I'll sleep in my car if I have to, I've done it in the past, I just need to get my own place lol.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I never spent any time in the tent - it was for the guys - DH, his Dad, his BIL, his two Uncles - for hunting/male bonding time. :p He said the little stove that came with it worked great. They slept in sleeping bags, but he said the snow blew pretty hard one year and they stayed warm, plus it was a handy cooktop.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since I'm planning on living in a tent (hopefully one like this this if I can get one on sale) with no electricity for a bit I started to compile a list of things I needed to have to move onto the homestead as soon as I buy property (foods/cookware, blankets, dog stuff) and another list of things that can come as I get the money for them. I'm so excited! Every time it gets brought up my mom asks me why I want to live like that, and how hard its going to be. But it will definitely be worth it!
Welcome to the journaling crowd! :hugs

We got a catalog in the mail yesterday that has the same tent in it for much cheaper than Cabelas but can't get the website link to show up. :barnie The brand is Guide Gear and another search sent me here. Not sure if it is any help to you or not. :hu

Hubby (doc_gonzo) and I did what you are wanting to do, back in September 2009 and we are having the time of our lives! :cool: We're living in a 22' camper on 17 (mostly) unimproved acres. We had city water put in before moving out here just because the line ran across the front of the property. I would have liked to had a well drilled but it would have cost us a lot more than the city water. We had no electric until January of 2011 when an influential member of a local church put the money together to do it for us (the neighbors felt sorry for us for "living this way" :rolleyes: ), or we still may have been relying on the generator for a few hours of power in the evening, like we did when we first moved out here.

Most friends and family thought we were nuts for wanting to "live like this" and we look at it as we "know" we are living, because we're building it all for ourselves, mostly by ourselves and it is a most wonderful feeling. Sure, it hasn't been easy and there have been times that we've wondered just what in the heck were we thinking but in the long run, we wouldn't trade it for the world! :D

Well, I've been rambling and just noticed the time so I'm going to stop while I'm ahead but will continue again later today...not quite done yammerin' yet! :lol:

I look forward to reading about your journey and sharing ours with you! :D