Staying cool

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday was our first day of reaching 90. Today it looks as if it is going to be even warmer. We just turn on the fans or sit on the porch. Ours is a humid heat though especially after a rain when it feels like you can't breathe at all.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I wear cotton clothing, keep the windows closed during the heat of the day, use fans to pull cool air in in the morning before work. We have window AC units in the bedrooms but we only use them for an hour or two before bedtime on the worst days.
If only I had some control at school where one room I work in is a corner office with no windows or circulation. Blech!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always enjoy a nice minted iced tea on super hot days. YUM!!! I need to buy new mint because our last plant did not survive this past winter.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are having a bit of a heat wave for late May, but it's supposed to cool down by the weekend. Our house generally stays pretty cool on the first floor (maybe b/c it was built decades before central a/c?). I know it's better to close the windows, but I'm like VickiLynn - I HATE having the windows closed. I love the fresh air. DH did put in the window a/c upstairs tho, because it's a converted attic and gets HOT!! Plus, that is where we sleep, so if I don't want to be a zombie, I need some cool air. I have the shades drawn up there, and I turn the a/c down during the day, but can't turn it off until the weather cools again, otherwise it will NEVER get cool up there. My dream house will have a screened porch so that I can sleep out there in the summer time w/o getting eaten alive. :)