Stevia............Where?? How??? And when???

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have any informative info on stevia? My mom needs "convincing" that it really is good for you and safe, and not the latest fad that in 6 weeks/months/years/decades will be the cause of all that ails us. Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you use a pure extract or even better, grow your own, it is safe. It is a plant that happens to be quite sweet. The problems with fad sweeteners is that they are usually chemical (aspartame, saccharin, etc) and those are the ones that are toxic and cause problems. Or they are from "natural" sources and are so processed that there is nothing natural left, or what is left causes dangerous reactions in the body, like HFCS. Or something becomes popular, like agave nectar, and unscrupulous companies either label HFCS as agave or process actual agave in such a way that it has the same problems as HFCS.

So stick with the actual plant, or a pure extract. Skip products like Truvia, which have a fairy dust amount of stevia but are marketed as if they are pure stevia.

Read labels carefully.

Actually, I am suspicious of any product that has words in it like true, honest, natural, etc. These are usually the most deceptive advertisements of all.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Actually, I am suspicious of any product that has words in it like true, honest, natural, etc. These are usually the most deceptive advertisements of all.
Terribly ironic, isn't it? :/

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have grown Stevia for three years now. We won't grow it anymore. We have tried several ways to prepare it . . . dried and ground, extract, seeds, you name it. The stuff tastes terrible. I could throw weeds in my drink and it would taste better.