Still a Girl Scout at 64

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What I want here is to learn and share about homestead activitiesI have been on other similar websites - left one due to new owners and another because of all the political rants. I’ve earned my beginner badge, so to speak, for chickens, preserving food, gardening, and stocking up. Now I’m taking a beekeeping class, keeping a budget (no cheating), started dating after 25 years of not dating and probably other new projects too.
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? western wash - wet!
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? My grandparents were both from farms, just got by and had a few acres when they could - Grandma canned over 1200 food jars in 1943 due to fears of an invasion etc.
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? Hmmm. Homemade vanilla extract, yogurt, challah...Lol I think just food.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? yes, I hope to have sheep when I retire in 5 years.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Vegetables, flowers but fruit trees are amazing. Figs are my latest project but most didn’t have enough sun to ripen.
9 land. I have several flat acres (I rent out the trailer on it) but actually live on several wooded acres - mostly shade- with a coop and tiny field.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? A bit - planted 2 black elderberry bushes last year with plans to make syrup for colds.
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Here!!! Love the climate, history (family in this area since 1870s), people, social and cultural opportunities.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? When I get home I get a fire going to save on heat or relax in front of it on days off. Love it. Love that the wood is from my property too - frugal.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? Love cooking. Nervous about raw milk, love my eggs, love to bake.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Got turned off to hunting after wanting so badly to go as a girl - hard to watch. I love shooting at targets though!
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? Persistence and flexibility and willing to compromise on wants.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? No but would if I had sun.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? Not unless it was necessary.
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? I eat at home and take homemade lunch.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Yes - I need more money to buy project supplies - for bees for example - even used or homemade it all adds up.

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you. You three ^^^ all seem to be very busy homesteaders as well as willing to share your experiences and expertise. I appreciate you taking the time to welcome me!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA -- We have a lot of sunshine. :D

You will find a lot of homesteaders here..willing to share and answer questions. How busy the site, depends on time of year, somewhat. But, join right in on the various threads! We like company.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like you stay very busy! Lots of livestock represented here: Sheep, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, ducks, goats. Not sure if there is a bee keeper among us??? And some LGD's. Lots of gardeners from all corners of our diverse country!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Patricia!
I used to live in Western Washington too, and LOVE it out there (we were on the Olympic Peninsula for 8 years. It's absolutely beautiful there.) I still have family out there. I'm out that way every other year or so.

We're also looking at getting bees (that was supposed to be this year's project, but we got sidetracked.) Hopefully next spring. And we're hoping to add sheep too in the next year or two. Right now, we have chickens and recently added 4 runner ducks. We've also added lots of fruit trees, berry bushes, and a big garden to the yard. And we've added something new every year.

Welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy it here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the Piney Woods of Northeast Texas. Haha, we call it living behind the Pine Curtain. LOL

We have hair sheep, retired, have 4 horses, chickens, 2 Great Pyrenees, 1 Great Dane/Labrador and a new puppy, 1/2 Anatolian, 1/4 Great Pyrenees and 1/4 Akbash. We keep the occasional feeder pigs for the freezer. We keep a garden and I can lots of stuff.

What type of sheep are you considering? Hair? Wool? Dairy? We currently have Dorper/Katahdin ewes and a fabulous registered Katahdin ram. I am moving in the direction of registered Katahdins. I am working on upgrading my flock.

We love new members, delighted to have you here and hope you join in the conversations.