Still can not find darn washing soda!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have searched countless stores and can not find it. I have shopped in 3 different towns ...still can't find it.

What else is it used for besides laundry? Anything?
Can anyone advise me on how to find it. I know i can order it but do I really want to pay shipping? Then again with all the driving I have done in search of it I could have paid for shipping.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My mother's been looking for it for like eleven years. So it isn't just you!

Have you looked on the homemade-laundry-soap threads on BYC? I *think* I recall people posting sources there.

GOod luck,

Pat

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe it is sodium carbonate and is the same thing as a product used for swimming pools. Look in the pool chemical area of the store and see if you can find something there.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That is so strange...they carry it everywhere here...Walmart, all the grocery stores...we can't get Fels here though...but I've replaced t with sunlight so it works:>)
The washing soda comes in a blue box shaped like a cereal box and about the same size as the regular boxes of cereal. In the left hand upper corner it says Arm and Hammer in a circle.
In the front center it says "SO CLEAN" in big letters, with "super washing soda" written in small letters underneath.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IMO, there isn't much rocket science involved in the making of this powdered laundry detergent. I keep telling myself that, anyway.

I had been buying the washing soda online and in the process, not really saving that much money over buying pre-made.

So, when I run out of the last washing soda that I bought online, I am not going to buy any more. I'm just going to experiment and make detergent out of the things that I CAN find.

Ivory soap
Borax
Purex (powdered color safe bleach)

And that's it. If that doesn't work, I'll try adding a cup of baking soda. But I have a feeling, the above recipe will work fine. I keep reading over and over, it's the agitation, much more than the detergent, that gets clothes clean. I will let you know how it goes (if you don't try it first) :D

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You could also ask one of your local stores to order it in for you, some people have had some success with this. When I can't get it I just double up on the Borax and go with it!

Pool supply, as mentioned before...lots of folks on BYC have found it there.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fred Meyer which is owned by Kroger carries it. I don't make my own laundry detergent but sometimes I add it to the wash for a "fresh" smell. I also scrub the tub with it.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy sodium carbonate in the pool supply section of pretty much any of the big albertsons or vons.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Probably won't do you any good but Heinen's (grocery chain) in our area stocks it.
How about hardware stores?
My box is lemon yellow Arm and Hammer and says Super Washing Soda.