still experiencing kefir problems

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought kefir about a month ago. Directions said to let it culture in just 1 cup milk for 48 hours - repeat for a total of 3 cultures. By then kefir should be thick and can start regular 24 hour cultures - if not, continue the 48 hour cultures until is is thick. I went through a half gallon of milk and it NEVER got thick.

They sent me replacement kefir grains and I started all over. After the 3rd 48 hour culture it was semi-creamy. It was the best consistency I'd seen so far so I dumped and tried a 24 hour brew. Fairly creamy today - but YUCK!! I can't even describe how sour it was! It's like vinegar! Several years ago I was culturing kefir regularly and it NEVER tasted like that. I was using raw jersey milk instead of raw nubian milk - but it shouldn't be THAT different should it? It was almost 1/8 cup grains and 1 cup milk at 24 hours. Should I try doubling the milk to 2 cups? I'm hoping I can still make these kefir grains work but not tasting like that! I put several drops of stevia extract in it and it was still so sour you couldn't even tell there was stevia in it. I had hoped to make a smoothie with it but I'm not willing to ruin fruit attempting it.

Is there any hope or should I purchase from another seller and hope for better results?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
How has your weather been. Had a temperature spike at all?
Any rise in temp will cause the culture to work faster. Often in summer it takes only 12 hours to do a batch.
I doubt your grains are ruined. Just do a shorter batch this time around.
And make sure you are not letting them touch metal or plastic (except for quick straining) and make sure you have a lid on the jar while its culturing.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BB - temps are pretty stable - weather has spiked outside but we run AC inside to keep it around 70* at all times.

Curious though, I did NOT have a lid on it - the seller told me to cover with cloth or paper and a rubberband. Do you suggest an actual lid? I use canning jars to culture in, I could put a Ball plastic lid on it instead if you think it might help.

My other culturing (at this point it's buttermilk and kombucha) have all been with a coffee filter or paper towel and a rubberband. I was under the impression the cultures were all supposed to be able to "breath".

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
BB - temps are pretty stable - weather has spiked outside but we run AC inside to keep it around 70* at all times.

Curious though, I did NOT have a lid on it - the seller told me to cover with cloth or paper and a rubberband. Do you suggest an actual lid? I use canning jars to culture in, I could put a Ball plastic lid on it instead if you think it might help.

My other culturing (at this point it's buttermilk and kombucha) have all been with a coffee filter or paper towel and a rubberband. I was under the impression the cultures were all supposed to be able to "breath".
Kefir is different. It doe snot do well if it is invaded by outside bacterias and yeasts.
Put a lid on it. Just leave it a bit loose so if it needs to vent it can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCvDKrHUutE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmDvi55Ii0

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use a tight lid. You do have to keep wild beasties out. And do you use a dishwasher? You really have to use containers that you have hand-washed, as dishwasher detergent is rather toxic and clings to the dishes. I leave the little detergent dispenser door open so there will be one wash, two rinses, and I cut the commercial stuff in half with washing soda and borax.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
But it doesn't hurt it to poke at it early, right? LOL!!!

I have my first kefir going. After 24 hours I poked at it. It still needs to sit a while.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did you say 1/8 c grains to 1 c milk??

It sounds like for the proportions your grains are doing great. I use a chunk about the size of a teaspoon in a quart jar. A 24 hour soak makes it just right.

Maybe try again with a full quart of milk or cut the grains back.

I also use a plastic canning lid. Jut not screwed down super tight.

Free, I did not know that about dishwasher soap. Hummm learn something new every day.

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:

It sounds like for the proportions your grains are doing great. I use a chunk about the size of a teaspoon in a quart jar. A 24 hour soak makes it just right.

Maybe try again with a full quart of milk or cut the grains back.

I also use a plastic canning lid. Jut not screwed down super tight.

Free, I did not know that about dishwasher soap. Hummm learn something new every day.

g
If a person is diagnosed with cancer, one of the things they tell them, is to stop using the detergent, and go back to handwashing.
I also use the detergent for just the first wash.
Then to cover my bases further, I run all my milking and culturing containers through super hot water right before use.
We have a mini hot water heater under our sink that has its own faucet, to facilitate this.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TanksHill said:

g
Really? It gets thick and creamy with that little bit? I know Dom's Kefir site (who always seemed the internet guru/expert on kefir) says about a 1:10 ratio, or 1/4 cup grains per 2.5 cups of milk. (so half that would be 1/8 cup to 1 and 1/4 cup milk). Since I'm at not quite a 1/8 cup I figured 1 cup was the proper amount. But... it was NASTY! I'll increase the milk and give it another shot. And I'll put a real lid on it. So how much kefir grains to milk do the rest of you find suitable?

And I'm curious, do you all put lids on your kombuca and/or buttermilk as well? I've been just covering those with a coffee filter and rubberband. I put a lid on once they get moved to the fridge but not while culturing. Maybe I should be rethinking those as well?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Lids on milk cultures, and cloth or paper on kombucha :)
Your ratios are close, but I think all of us have tweaked our ratios over the months and years, according to seasons and types of milk.
Just relax and follow what your cultures are wanting to do.

Most likely, you are dealing with a bit of outside bacteria and an over brew.
Give your grains a chance, feeding them well, and they should be just fine.