Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Suddenly, we've got a million stinkbugs on all the window screens, flying through the air and landing in my hair, in every crevasse and log and window sill.

That's been happening for the past few years at this time of year. It used to be the Asian beetles(mock lady bugs) but I haven't seen one of them for a long time....now it's all about the stink bug.

Y'all having this problem??? :barnie Any good solutions other than chemical warfare?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had problems with them every year - but usually earlier in the season. The only thing I've found that works is a physical barrier. I've spent hours picking them off by hand and dropping them in soapy water...I've tried traps/lights over night. I used some Safer soap earlier in the year with very limited luck. Chickens won't eat them either - can't say a I blame 'em there!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've got both the Asian lady bug and the stink bugs but I wouldn't call it an invasion... yet! Maybe, cause it's still hot here? I'm more than happy to send more your way... :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's still hot here too...mid 90s and above. Usually they aren't trying to get into the house until it cools down but they are trying every way possible of getting into nooks and crannies. I sprayed around 17 of the suckers off my window screen after dark this evening....three more in the bedroom here and there.

They give me the willies. :eek:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. Having something crawling on your arm, or worse, on your neck is ... (Hm, I can't even come up with a properly yucky expression!) :eek:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They keep flying on me...what's up with that???? At night they wait in my room and fly on me as I'm reading. In the day I'll be walking along and I hear a buzzing, then a landing in my hair or on my shirt....you wanna see a fat gal dance, I be dancing!!!!

:barnie :ep :eek: :confused: :mad: :rant :somad :hide

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate stink bugs! They are my arch enemy. Spray them with Palmolive Green Original squirted in water - they die almost instantly. Must be Palmolive orginal though. If they don't die almost instantly add more Palmolive to the water.

I had them in my summer garden early in the year - I declared all out war and won but it was a fight I'll tell you.

Also this Palmolive water mix works for wasps, aphids, squash bugs and lots of other insects also. Spray in the evening after the honey bees have left though.

I also wash my dogs in it... Kills fleas, ticks, turkey mites & chiggers dead also.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I hate stink bugs! They are my arch enemy. Spray them with Palmolive Green Original squirted up in water. They die almost instantly. Must be Palmolive orginal though if they don't die almost instantly add more Palmolive to the water.

I had them in my summer garden early in the year - I declared all out war and won but it was a fight I'll tell you.

Also this Palmolive water mix works for wasps, aphids, squash bugs and lots of other insects also. Spray in the evening after the honey bees have left though.

Will Dawn work? Usually folks use Dawn for insects and it works a charm. I don't have a problem with them in the garden....they are all over the window screens, inside and out, in my room at night, flying through the air and onto me, and in our pantry/mud room, in our storage shed, in the cabin, etc.

Spectracide nor Raid will kill them, nor deter them. I'll mix me up a bottle of the soap and see if that will help. I'd rather be spraying that around than the other and it's much cheaper. Thanks!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Will Dawn work? Usually folks use Dawn for insects and it works a charm. I don't have a problem with them in the garden....they are all over the window screens, inside and out, in my room at night, flying through the air and onto me, and in our pantry/mud room, in our storage shed, in the cabin, etc.

Spectracide nor Raid will kill them, nor deter them. I'll mix me up a bottle of the soap and see if that will help. I'd rather be spraying that around than the other and it's much cheaper. Thanks!!!

Never had any luck with Dawn... But Palmolive is slicker than oil. I came across the Palmolive mix by accident. I use Palmolive in water to lube my sawmill blades when milling. It kind of sprays all over because I have it set to drip on the blade. I noticed it killed just about any bug that was hanging around the sawmill eating wood. Beetles, wood roaches, wood bees, termites, powder post beatles, etc...

Figured why not try in the garden and it worked... I like non-toxic solutions to common problems like pest control.

I'm not a chemist but I think the oil in PalmOlive is what coats the insect and sufficates the insect. All I know is it works and works well.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had them ONLY on my butternut squash leaves. Hundreds of them but they didn't bother the limas, tomatoes, etc. adjacent to the squash. They just took the squash leaves! It was bizarre. Fortunately I didn't see them anywhere else. Will have to buy Palmolive for next yr. I've always used Dawn.

:idunno

Also saw a LOT of little grasshoppers in the grass this year. Very small ones and the chickens were thrilled! that was fun to watch....when I mowed, they followed and jumped them. That's how I realized it, actually. I stopped to see what they were after. Then I began to watch as I walked thru the taller grasses. The protein has sure helped with quickening their molt recovery this year. I have a few who follow my buck around as he grazes, rustling up bugs. :)

Latest posts