Stinky vacuum cleaner

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cleaned out my vacuum cleaner (bagless) by taking out all the recepticals and filters and rinsing them off. I made sure everything was bone dry when I put it back together, but now it smells kinda musty when I vacuum. Do you guys have any suggestions of how I can freshen it up? I've tried baking soda, but it just seems to glom up the works.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
if you use Febreeze, you could try spraying with that (filter, etc) and letting it dry. It could be there was a bit of moisture in a crack somewhere. I put these scented things in my bag and it seems to help any odors that are blown out. I know you don't have a bag....not sure what else to suggest. :idunno

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Teatree oil, just a drop or three on a paper towel and rub it on the filter. It's naturally anti-fungal, so if it got a bit of mold, that'll kill it. Or you could try washing the filters again and letting them dry in the sun, or if your weather isn't that warm yet put them on the dashboard of your car (gets like a solar oven effect). Good luck!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If the baking soda is glomming up, that indicates to me there is still moisture. Send it through, let it flake up, then brush it all out? That's probably what I would try. Good luck!