Stitches??

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
Well you could have, but when you 6 year old tells the teacher at school-"I cut my foot on a rusted trampoline and my mom sewed it!" Teacher may wander why Mom who is not a medical professional sewed up her childs foot and why child did not recieve a tetnus booster-you may find childrens services at your door.

What if child developed an infection and you had to take her to the pediatrician and he saw or she reported the sutures done by Mom? You'll at least get a stern lecture.

Super glue and surgical glue are not the same thing. If an adult chooses to put superglue on their own wound that's one thing. But-When an adult puts superglue on a child's wound it's a different matter.

Lastly-If you really want to add sutures or even a skin stapling gun to your first aid kit-You can buy the kits at kvvet.com.

(The above post in not meant to criticize or intended to be malicious in anyway-Just being devil's advocate)
I think you have a good point.
I would always prefer to go to the doctor or hospital for medical care. Unfortunately I have no insurance and no money. So for now I have to take care of myself. I also am waayyy more conservative, when it comes to treating children!!!! especially other people's kids!!!!!!!
But if there was an emergency and no services available do to being in an isolated place or if TSHTF, it is good to know how to take care of these things, just in case!!!

BTW, I'll have to ask my XDH again, he knows exactly which type of super glue to use. I always call him and ask, before I use it on myself. There is a specific one that is good to use, because it has the same ingredients as the surgical glue used in other countries.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
Well you could have, but when you 6 year old tells the teacher at school-"I cut my foot on a rusted trampoline and my mom sewed it!" Teacher may wander why Mom who is not a medical professional sewed up her childs foot and why child did not recieve a tetnus booster-you may find childrens services at your door.

What if child developed an infection and you had to take her to the pediatrician and he saw or she reported the sutures done by Mom? You'll at least get a stern lecture.

Super glue and surgical glue are not the same thing. If an adult chooses to put superglue on their own wound that's one thing. But-When an adult puts superglue on a child's wound it's a different matter.

Lastly-If you really want to add sutures or even a skin stapling gun to your first aid kit-You can buy the kits at kvvet.com.

(The above post in not meant to criticize or intended to be malicious in anyway-Just being devil's advocate)
This is what I was thinking and is often what I am conflicted over when considering providing care to some of my animals.

Is it legal? We had sewed our dogs before, with needle and thread and it healed up beautifully. It seems most of the time we have taken our animals to the vets, we end up doing what's right and not the vet.

One of our dogs had been running through the backyard, ran through a brush pile and all of a sudden began limping. His leg swelled and there was a small incision between his toes. We thought he just nicked himself on something and was being overdramatic(as he has been before). A couple days later, it's swollen, he's licked/nibbled a part of his leg raw higher up from the incision. We take him in. The vet looks at him, prescribes antibiotics and light pain killers and sends him home. :barnie Several days later, he has bitten a hole higher on his leg and won't take a step without bothering his leg. So we laid him down and I took tweezers and a razor to his leg and ended up pulling out a LARGE twig that had managed to travel 4 inches UP his leg from where it went in between his toes. :hu

So, I think in emergency situations people with basic sewing skills could easily suture, BUT it would have to be an emergency situation for the general public to not report or find it odd that it was not taken to a medical pro to take care of.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever suture one of my animals. We had a lab a few years ago who cut her leg open in the backyard after stepping on a barbeque scraper one of the kids left on the ground in the snow, she had to have blood because she perferated an artery!

Yikes, that was one big vet bill.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:

Just a comment on the tetanus - many people seem to think that a tetanus booster is needed every time an injury occurs, which is not the case. Ten years ago (when I retired) the recommendation was that a tetanus shot should be given after a dirty cut if it was 5 years since the last tetanus. Otherwise a tetanus booster should be given every ten years. This may have changed in the last ten years, a call to a medical professional will clarify that. This is for those who have gone through their initial tetanus shots, and doesn't apply to children.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have never sutured any one or anything ... yet. In case of a REAL emergency situation I would at least attempt it. I HAVE learned the proper way to tie a suture off.

Home sewing does work in another way however.

When my GEEk son was little we were running a rut in the ground driving to the E room for stitches. The kid was constantly diving, running or leaping into something sharp!! As a redhead, he would then bleed like a stuck pig all over everything. He was always tough and would just sit there and watch while the doctors sewed him back together.

After several of these incidents he was at the ER yet again. His grandma had been there when he cut his leg open on a nail while climbing on a fence that he was NOT supposed to be climbing. When I arrived at the ER I took a good look at this injury. It was really a marginal cut, but the ER doctor was readying for stitches. I looked at the leg and then questioned the doctor. If this was on YOUR leg would you be sewing it up? The doctor said,"Probably not."

That was enough for me. I thanked the doctor and grandma. Picked my kid up - much to grandma's dismay - and left the hospital. :ep On the way home momma was NOT happy. I was tired of paying those ER bills ESPECIALLY on a boy that was getting hurt by being careless and NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES! I let him have an earful. Then I PROMISED him, the next time he needed stitches I WAS THE ONE that was going to stitch him up!!!! :rant

:lol: Fortunately the threat worked!! I have still never had to make that threat turn into a lie. (and he is now 22) I am sure the next set of stitches if ever needed again WILL be done in an ER as well.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
Well you could have, but when you 6 year old tells the teacher at school-"I cut my foot on a rusted trampoline and my mom sewed it!" Teacher may wander why Mom who is not a medical professional sewed up her child's foot and why child did not receive a tetanus booster-you may find children's services at your door.

Oh, trust me I had no intention of stitching her up myself. I live a hop skip and a jump from our local ER. I think what I was asking was more like "If you had to would you?" When I was little, being the 12th out of 13 kids. My Mom would clean us up and butterfly our cuts. Never had any issues. Most of us have extensive pantry's and emergency storage. If we were isolated because of weather, earthquake etc.. It would be good to have medical supplies if they were needed. I have a great first aide kits and super glue already. Just weighing the addition of a surgical kit.

My daughter is all up to date on shots and at the age of 6 they did not give her a booster. Last night we were at Grandmas and my sil who is a wound nurse checked her out. Offering to remove stitches when necessary etc. I will still take her to the doc instead.

gina

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
ORChick said:
buckeye lady said:
Just a comment on the tetanus - many people seem to think that a tetanus booster is needed every time an injury occurs, which is not the case. Ten years ago (when I retired) the recommendation was that a tetanus shot should be given after a dirty cut if it was 5 years since the last tetanus. Otherwise a tetanus booster should be given every ten years. This may have changed in the last ten years, a call to a medical professional will clarify that. This is for those who have gone through their initial tetanus shots, and doesn't apply to children.
During the 70's and 80's 70% of all cases of tetanus in the USA were in adults over the age of 50. About 95% of fatalities occured in that age group.
5% of cases were in folks under 20 years old, these were rarely fatal.
Neumerous studies and case reports have linked the tetanus vaccine to sever and even fatal reactions, including neurological ad paralytic disorders such as GBS and arthritis, joint inflammation and anaphylactic shock, as well as other life threatening allergic reactions.
The new england journal of medicine published a study showing the booster caused t-lymphocyte blood count ratios to drop below normal. (the greatest decrease occured up to two weeks later) The authors of the study noted that these altered ratios were similar to those found in victims of HIV and AIDS.
In 1994 the US institute of Medicine corroborated a causal relationship between the tetanus toxiod, brachial neuritis and Guillain Barre syndrom. The Institute also reported on several cases of anaphylactic reactionns, severe life threatening allergic reactions resulting in swelling of the mouth, inability to breathe shock, collapse or death within 4 hours of the tetanus vaccine injection.
A study in 1997 comaring vaccinated vs unvaccinated children found that none of the unvaccintated children had asthma. In the vaccinated group 23% had asthma episodes and asthma consultations. while 30% had consults for other allergic illnesses.

My kids are not vaccinated for tetanus - nuff said!

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I, being a man, hate going to the doctor - so when I need stitching, either the wife (RN) or the 11 yo DD do it unless the cut is located where I can do it myself. I also treat/stitch all of the livestock or dogs when we have accidents. A few things to remember when suturing your livestock/pets:
Hydro therapy (sterile water, betadine water solution, peroxide) is best for cleaning deep cuts. Use a large syringe to spray (with force) into the cut. In a pinch allow the blood to run for a few minutes (NOT GUSH) to self clean the wound.
Only cuts that are fresh (less than 5 hours has elapsed) can be sutured unless the injury is debrided & edges cut back to fresh flesh (OUCH!).
Use the appropriate suture (ie... gut for muscle, poly for skin sutures). Also note that even severe cuts will heal albiet slowly with good care & cleaning. Some severe cuts may be pressure wrapped without sutures & heal with barely a scar. Yes superglue works well as does EMT gel.
As far as those of you who cringe at "hurting" a pet during suturing... most of the time the area is already pretty numb from the injury - so the faster it is sutured the less discomfort to your pet. Although I have used lidocaine in the oral paste form (dentist use) and in liquid form to numb if the "patient" will not hold still. I have also used ice packs to numb the area.
Always follow up with antibiotics - if needed - depending on what caused the injury.
Always visibly check the wound daily. If the wound swells or begins to have drainage - it may be necessary to remove some or all of the sutures to allow drainage. All wounds must heal from the inside out... you want to avoid abscesses. Cleaning of the sutured area daily is a must. Do not be surprised if injuries caused by another animal's teeth do not heal well & abscess. Oral bacteria often cause a wound to become infected & most of these injuries require either no sutures or removal of them to allow draining.
As to where to find suture kits.... most livestock supply catalogs & dog hunting supply companies stock both suture kits & sterile staple kits.
I am not encouraging anyone to suture a severe wound involving the abdominal cavity or one that has major muscle/tendon damage - that should be left to an expert - but minor basic wounds may be sutured with little fear.
As far as suturing people or children - although I have sutured a friend or two over the years (an emergency where no other option existed) I would not recomend it both because of legal consequences & due to damage that can be incurred by an inexperienced person suturing. Just remember that in an emergency you need to only stabalize the patient.... breathing first, controlling blood loss (bandages) second & shock therapy (warmth, hydration) third until medical assistance can be reached.
Personally I would be comfortable suturing anyone or anything in a real disaster especially in life of death situations but the wife is a 20 year experienced RN & I am a 18 year experienced vet tech.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
During the 70's and 80's 70% of all cases of tetanus in the USA were in adults over the age of 50. About 95% of fatalities occured in that age group.
5% of cases were in folks under 20 years old, these were rarely fatal.
Neumerous studies and case reports have linked the tetanus vaccine to sever and even fatal reactions, including neurological ad paralytic disorders such as GBS and arthritis, joint inflammation and anaphylactic shock, as well as other life threatening allergic reactions.
The new england journal of medicine published a study showing the booster caused t-lymphocyte blood count ratios to drop below normal. (the greatest decrease occured up to two weeks later) The authors of the study noted that these altered ratios were similar to those found in victims of HIV and AIDS.
In 1994 the US institute of Medicine corroborated a causal relationship between the tetanus toxiod, brachial neuritis and Guillain Barre syndrom. The Institute also reported on several cases of anaphylactic reactionns, severe life threatening allergic reactions resulting in swelling of the mouth, inability to breathe shock, collapse or death within 4 hours of the tetanus vaccine injection.
A study in 1997 comaring vaccinated vs unvaccinated children found that none of the unvaccintated children had asthma. In the vaccinated group 23% had asthma episodes and asthma consultations. while 30% had consults for other allergic illnesses.

My kids are not vaccinated for tetanus - nuff said!
my kids have not had the tetnus vaccine either.

Once my son stepped on a nail out in the woods. I just cleaned it up, gave him Homeopathic ledum, taped it together and he was fine.

I have done some suturing, and of all places on perineums, back when I was a midwife. Its not that big a deal and I noticed that many of the students were afraid of it so I got called and did more than my fair share. Never had a problem

Most cases that get taken to the ER for suturing really only need steri strips... and I have heard of the crazy glue thing but never tried it and but I would. Doctors use the same stuff in surgery

The only time ER is necessary is if there is a very deep laceration that requires internal stitching. Most home injuries are not like that, but more common in auto accidents etc.

Just be sure you have a good flush for your wounds and half strength hydrogen peroxide will do. Steri strips can do most of the work that sutures do. You have to get the long ones, and a search on the net is required cause the companies don't let you have them. You will never find them in the drug store.

I like colloidal silver. Then have a good topical like iodine or even neorsporin