Stocking up?? How is everyone?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I just ordered 100lbs of organic rice, 50lbs of navy beans and 50lbs of black beans from the local food coop i belong to. DH is out filling the tanks, all of them and I am now looking for salt.

What are you doing to prep this week???

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We're in the middle of dehydrating 50 pounds of potatoes at the moment, and building raised beds to the garden (between rain drops at the moment).

Once the raised beds are completed, we'll be building more shelving in the spare bedroom that we're converting into an over-sized pantry. Our walk-in pantry has started to get a bit cramped, so we decided to put the unused bedroom to good use.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I changed the title of the thread to get more replies hopefully.

Oil went up to $100/barrel, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight, actually it looks pretty grim.

We are OK, how is everyone else???

Salt is on the way.

Sugar, next.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just don't buy massive bulk of items

I do can/preserve harvest of course so those are my mega supplies for the pantry.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I could afford it (operative words), I would be stocking up on gas, propane, & kerosene. Just put $34 in the van today ($3.15/gal at the "cheap" place down the road). At the moment I'm broke.

As for food...my hopes are riding high on my expanded garden this year. :fl I had always counted on my small chicken flock, but I don't think that will be an option for much longer. :(

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I sent dh to the store on Monday for 1 bunch of spinach, one head of lettuce, 1 cucumber and 2 tomatoes and he spent $9.59 on just those things, we are amping up our garden plans.

He said there were signs up that said the high prices were due to the frosts this winter. :(

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We are setting pretty well. I am planning on expanding the garden a little bit, and getting as much use as possible out of the greenhouse in the coming years.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Unfortunately the ground is still frozen so I can't plant yet. I am tapping trees and making syrup. At the store it is $15/8oz. The sap is flowing really good this year, Yay. I think this year we will be greedy with it and keep it all. :D

I have started seeds too but winter just won't quit. :(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just stocked up all my first aid supplies. My @*#$*(#@#@ son put his arm through a window during an autistic meltdown. Since I had to go to the store anyway, I bought all kinds of gauze, bandages, first aid cream, etc... and filled my rubbermaid storage tub.

Tonight I am filling gas cans.

I also changed in another batch "fake" coins for nickels. Not a Glenn Beck style gold stash, but it works with my budget :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a ton of rice and beans...not literally..but almost. I'm growing a huge garden this year. I have a lot of things planted and a lot more started. :hu we have a pond we can fish from, ducks, turkeys, and chickens we can eat. I'm not TOO worried about this household, but my family....some I am concerned about. We'll see how it goes. We can provide for us and a bit for others as well at this point. God willing we'll have plenty from the garden ;)