Store bought meat doesn't taste right anymore

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
How cool is that!!!!!! Last night we had some really nice store bought NY strip steaks for dinner. After the first bite Sharon looked at me and said "does this taste funny to you". It wasn't that it tasted funny, rather it had no taste. It was just bland meat. We are at the point now of about 80%+ consuming our own meat. I can see in the future that going to 100%.

Steve

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I noticed that I was full after one scrawny pasture-raised laying breed chicken leg last night, and I wasn't looking for snacks later. It is so much more nutritious, too.

Hey, Steve!!! :frow Should I keep my pair of BR turkeys? I've had 'em for two years and no poults yet. They are supposedly three years old now. Give 'em another year or into the pot before feeding them another winter??

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
its Turkey Steve!

hey baby! great to see you! you should totally pal around over here - we'd love to see you more.
:)

and lots of folks are asking about turkey how-to's... you should do a post and/or link to one of your published articles
;-)

and yeah.. we cant choke most store bough stuff down. but ya know.. heh heh heh.. we're at about 95-98% of our own meat here. *sniff, beats chest, throws down the gauntlet*

hee hee hee just kiddin but it is great to see you.

i've about given up on even the turkey section on BYC these days. them folks are crazy.

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
We are getting there slowly but surely. The pig pen was started last year and got to about 50% finished when it lost steam. lol On the whole store bought meat thing I can see why the stores have shelf after shelf of sauce and marinade etc etc. :( . You have to have some taste from somewhere I guess. lol

What sections are the turkey questions in? i'll be glad to help.

No poults in 2 years? any eggs?

Steve

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
just post under "everything else self sufficient"

the folks here would like to see why "every body loves a turkey" and the basic how-tos

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw some bourbon reds in person at the show Saturday. I loved them! But now I know there is no way I can fit them in here :(

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had BRs for a while, but they kept jumping out of their yard and getting carried off by fox. I'm still considering the midget whites, though. Small and I hear they tastes great. ;)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Hey Steve! I used to post under the turkey section of BYC, but I don't go 'round there much these days....too many people. :lol: I have turkeys, but right now I am keeping them in my freezer instead of the pen. :lol:

Latest posts