Storing canned beans??

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I came across a great deal on a giant can of organic pinto beans. I paid 5 bucks for a 6 pound can!! Now what? Obviously, I cannot begin to use these up, once I open the can... Should I freeze the rest, can it again in the pressure canner? Any tips would be appreciated- and if you have any great recipes that use pinto beans- I am all ears!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Freezing would be easiest, just divide up into the portions you will use and chuck 'em in the freezer.

Pressure canning would probably make them mushy, since they are already canned.

Pinto beans are great for chilis, soups, "3-bean salad", and of course refried beans (which can also be used in burritos, 7-layer dip etc.) :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have a dehydrator cooked beans dry really nicely and they also rehydrate nice and quick.. Or after drying they can be powdered and used a bean flour.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I freeze beans all the time after rehydrating and cooking enormous batches of them. Doesn't affect taste or texture at all.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With the remains of the can you have bought I would agree that freezing in portion size amounts would work well. For future I would suggest that you consider dry beans. You paid $5 for 6 lbs = 83c/lb of beans ready to eat. You could easily spend that, or less, on a pound of organic dried beans, which would rehydrate to much more, therefore being a better deal. Yeah, I understand the fact that you have to think ahead to get them rehydrated for when you want them; I struggle with this all the time, as I am a fairly spontaneous cook, and want to do it NOW, and not after the beans have soaked, or the meat has thawed. But for saving money it really is the best way.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, freezer it is! I usually do the dried beans- but when I saw this gigantic can, I just had to have it!!

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
you can re can

just process in a pressure canner at pressure for 10 minutes....

I have done this for kidney bean...and worked just fine...

bear in mine...can break down food quality...eg probably wouldn't want to recan soft fruit coctail...but is fine for all your
sauces ect...
this has allowed me to be able to by big cans at the wholesale club