Storing dry goods in #10 tin cans

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been reading about storing dry goods in #10 cans. Does anyone have experience doing this? It looks great, but I can't figure out why the seamer/sealer is so terribly expensive. I suppose the type of people who would buy a seamer are the sort that prefer quality, but 600 $ for a hand-powered machine that is basically 2 rollers? I don't get it. It seems like it would be easy enough to roll your own (pun intended). Someone with experience should talk me out of my ignorance.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've seen tin can sealers in the lehman catalog but they don't sell the actual tin cans. I guess I can't really answer your question because I decided to not go that route but hope maybe this bump can help.

Doesn't seem cost worthy. Can't reuse once opened, either.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You might want to look into oven canning. Countryside had a great article on it recently. The concept is to heat the dry good in the jar in the oven then put the metal seal and band on. As the jar cools you get a nice seal. This also will help to kill any beasties you might have in you grains, beans etc.

If you have your heart set on #10 cans I would find an LDS cannery near you. They are often open to the public and have the equipment. maybe find a Mormon friend and tag along.

g

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use 1 gallon paint cans that I buy from Best Container.com They are prompt and have a lot of good containers. I use food grade Nitrogen gas to pack everything so it has a long shelf life.
#10 cans are really nice but not re-usable. Gallon paint cans are gas tight and re-usable. No need for the expensive sealer although I will be honest and say that I would really like to have that as a tool in my armamentarium. One of the posters mentioned the LDS canning work at the Bishops warehouse and that is without a doubt the best idea going. They are wonderful and helpful and believe in what you are doing.

Trim sends
//bt//

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
Doesn't seem cost worthy. Can't reuse once opened, either.
I understand that you can re-use the cans, but you need another 1000 $ for a machine to trim the top and form the top edge.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
are you using mylar bags for it? or just cleaned cans?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
I've been reading about storing dry goods in #10 cans. Does anyone have experience doing this? It looks great, but I can't figure out why the seamer/sealer is so terribly expensive. I suppose the type of people who would buy a seamer are the sort that prefer quality, but 600 $ for a hand-powered machine that is basically 2 rollers? I don't get it. It seems like it would be easy enough to roll your own (pun intended). Someone with experience should talk me out of my ignorance.
A can sealer is definitely on my wish list. They do seem to be more expensive than the need to be, but the one that I have seen close up was built like a tank. I would guess that one of the reasons for the cost is that such a low number of them are sold, that the production costs are higher.

While I have not used one personally yet, I did know someone that acquired one through an auction and used it for sealing Christmas presents in cans. He even had a booth set up to do this, as a way to make money, at a local mall for a few years. I can imagine the look on kids faces when they realize that they need some type of power tool to open their present. :th Unfortunately after the storm of '05, his can sealer (and his home and the rest of its' contents) came up missing.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
have you looked into buckets and mylar?? Way less complicated.

;)
I am reading about it now. Any suggested reading?