Storing gas on the cheap and small?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, with my money issue right now, I've realized that gas is a huge freaking issue. I can stock up on everything else, and I can even pay daycare in advance just in case (wish I had done that now), but gas, I can't do diddly squat about. Is there a way to safely and cheaply store gas? I don't need to store a whole crap ton of it, but a good 15 gallons or so would be splendid, maybe 55g? Can you convert a plastic or steel 55g drum to store gas in? I can get those for $10.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think it stores well in the steel 55 gallon drums.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
On Dads old farm truck, he had a tool box/tank on the back that he kept diesel in, its an idea. Not exactly cheap, but something to consider if you can find one.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool beans! Can you add it a little at a time? At this point, it'd cost me $191 to fill a 55g barrel. $200 is just not something I'll have anytime soon, lol. I would eventually be ok with filling up my tank and adding like 5g at a time.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've thought of doing something like that. When we lost our power after Irene, it was a pain to run out and try to find gas. We had some in cans, but don't really have a place to store it. A 55 gallon steel drum w/some kind of pump on it just might be the thing.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you had the right set up, I wonder if you could lay the barrel on it's side (UP, not on the ground) with a spigot?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Might work. I'd just have to make sure that others couldn't use it.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you're referring to gasoline (like for cars) then be advised it is a volatile liquid ... and I have heard (from my college organic chem professor) when stored too long you end up with paint thinner. Diesel stores well though, being a more stable distillate.

One of the VERY few things I retained from those two nightmarish semesters.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what is considered "too long"? I could possibly set up two tanks, and just rotate. Start using one up and fill the other up while using the first, to keep everything fresh.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
You can store gas-as long as you treat it. Don't recall now what you need, but it can be done.