Storing Gasoline

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hubby has three five gallon gas cans in the garage. He rotates the fuel inside every couple of months, so it's always fairly fresh. Our car will easily go over 400 miles on a full tank (18 gallons), my truck will only go about 340 miles on the same size fill up. Our get away house up in Maine is easily reachable, the only problem is getting around Boston to get there if TSHTF.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream- Do you know where we can find 55 gal. drums that you are able to store gas/diesel in? We have been looking and can only find plastic ones that say not for storing gasoline.

We wouldn't be leaving our ranch if/when TSHTF, but need enough to last us a while if/when it does.

Now, we always keep several(not sure how many, it's DH's job) gas cans of both gasoline and diesel and dirt bike mix on hand.

Monica

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
cknmom, the best place to find those steel drums, would be at or near a auto racetrack of ANY KIND. Those guys sometimes have a hard time getting rid of the empty drums and you can score them FREE! You could also try to find one of those steel 200 gallon tanks like they store diesel in for farm use. Either the ones that are up on legs or even one like they put in the back of a pickup truck to refuel the tractors. Sometimes it pays to "think outside the box" ;)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
cknmom said:
2dream- Do you know where we can find 55 gal. drums that you are able to store gas/diesel in? We have been looking and can only find plastic ones that say not for storing gasoline.

We wouldn't be leaving our ranch if/when TSHTF, but need enough to last us a while if/when it does.

Now, we always keep several(not sure how many, it's DH's job) gas cans of both gasoline and diesel and dirt bike mix on hand.

Monica
cknmom, I live in an area where there are several oil wells. The people who service wells and work in the oil fields might be able to come up with something for you. That's were I get mine.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
You could also try to find one of those steel 200 gallon tanks like they store diesel in for farm use. Either the ones that are up on legs . . . .
I've seen these for sale around town for $100. Thinking about getting the next one I see.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dont be bummed. USE your head, dont LOSE your head. LOL ( I made that up mythelf.:weee) anyway. Its good t plan ahead and thing logicaly, I ahve been doing it for years. I also have a place thats more secluded and outa the way about 65 miles from here. I will take my horses and family and head that way if we must. Then when we get there we will just ride our horses everywhere. But I realy dont forsee it getting that bad. It will get bad, but I dont think that bad.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
sylvie said:
SKR8PN said:
You could also try to find one of those steel 200 gallon tanks like they store diesel in for farm use. Either the ones that are up on legs . . . .
I've seen these for sale around town for $100. Thinking about getting the next one I see.
Be careful, the used ones you see are not always in great condition and a spill can cause serious groundwater and well problems in some cases. Also if your homeowners' insurance co. finds out that you have the fuel tank, it may affect your rates. (For me, it would, anyhow; dunno about elsewhere and other insurers, I expect it varies) Not saying don't do it, just be aware.

Pat

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
cknmom said:

Monica
cknmom - We pick our plastic drums up where ever we can find them. Check your local industrial park. We have picked up plastic drums at the local fertilizer plant also. The drums do not say "do not use for gasoline". But then they don't say "for gasoline" either. Where ever you get your drum - be sure to clean it, clean it, clean it. Especially if you don't know what was stored in it. Let it air out - smell it - if there is a smell - clean it again.

Also, rule of thumb at my house. If its plastic, check it weekly - for swelling, bubbles, or thinning areas. If its metal - check for rust spots.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been worried about fuel for about a year, now. DH has to travel 70 miles, round trip 5 days a week, to get to work. I was concerned when the gas prices were at their peak that it might get to the point when we might not be able to get gas because of instability in the middle east and the crazy policies our government seems to have regarding using US oil for US fuel.

After thinking about it for a while, I realised that I could have a good supply of gas to get DH to work if we kept all the things that had a fuel tank on our property filled with gas. We have 4 vehicles (over kill I know) and he only needs to drive the most economical one. That means the tank in the old plow truck, the tank in the Dakota, and the tank in the old Toyota Corolla could all be considered "gas storage" containers. We would siphon the gas from those tank into the Hyundai Elantra (39mpg). I figured that would be an additional 40 gal of gas. We also have a riding mower with a 3 gallon tank, a snowblower with a 1 gallon tank, a boat with a 20 gallon tank and 4 spare 5 gallon storage tanks out in one of the sheds. If things get really tough, we will have to use the assets we have wisely and guard them with a big dog and a big gun! Gas theives beware!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
That is a very good idea VT-Chicklit. Sure would save on buying a big ol' tank to store it in......