Storing used oil......

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think a month is the longest that I've let mine sit between frying. I usually have run through 2-3 time uses within 2 months. Of course sometimes I'll use it to fry donuts or fried chicken too. If I use it for chicken then that's it's last use before it goes to the dogs / cats. I'll use an oil pencil and mark on the jar what use it's at cause I can't always trust my memory for that type of thing.

I imagine that if you have room in your fridge that you might feel safer storing it longer term there.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I use it for fish the last time before it goes out. I have kept it a couple of months in a cool dark cabinet.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great info...thanks !!!!!!

yea makes sense thinking of its progression thru the meals.

use for fish the last time. very smart!!!!!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well we all know I am strange so this won't be a surprise - I use one pan only for frying french fries because I fry them quite often - the pan looks awful. I leave my oil in that pan with a saucer over it - stored in my oven which does not see much use. I use my toaster oven for most baking - But if I do need the oven I just set the pan on top of the stove or a cabinet out of the way until I can put it back. I use that same oil over and over until it starts getting dark. Then I strain it into a jar and place it in the fridge for fish or chicken frying. Sometimes it is used for weeks - sometimes for months - it all depends on how many fries get cooked. And at my house DH demands fries with gravy, fries with Ketchup, fries with hamburgers, fries with mac and cheese or any other item that makes me go - are you kidding me - Can you tell he likes fries? I find I get more mileage out of the oil if its dedicated to fries only. For any other frying that does not require the entire contents be covered, I use fresh oil or my old stored in the fridge french fry oil.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting!

I save my oil in a jar in the frig. I don't use too much as a rule so there's never too much in there for very long. I don't strain mine, but I do quit pouring it into the jar when the crispies from the previous fry start falling in the jar.

My dear aunt kept all her oil and grease right there in her cast iron skillet. That was stored in her oven. It didn't matter what got fried in there, the grease stayed. When it started getting too full, she'd pour a little out and keep on frying.

For some reason, food always tasted better at her place! I suppose because she had fried sausage that morning, then potatoes that night in the same grease.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good post 2dream. alot of info.

duh, the oven. as storage. you are so right. I barely use it now with the big toaster oven, so that is a great idea to find space truly.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is interesting the way your aunt handled it.

I bet that oil did have flavor. and flavor makes a huge difference for sure!