Storing Wheat Berries in Humid Climate

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do a ton of baking and would love to buy a grain mill and start grinding my own flour. However, I've read that wheat berries need to be stored in a cool dry place, which is about impossible here in Florida. If I buy the wheat berries that come in buckets with "airtight gasket-sealed lids, Mylar liners, and oxygen absorber packets", will this be okay in my climate?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in a hot climate (which is also an issue for long term storage) with a few months of high humidity so I store mine in the freezer, I took out a shelf in my freezer and put the buckets in there and it works great. I also use 1/2 gallon jars for smaller amounts.

*ETA that I store rice, sugar, beans in sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and throw in a little DE for good measure and keep them in a closet in the innermost (usually colder) part of the house and have not had any spoilage in the four years I have been doing that. I have not done that with the wheat though.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
It will be fine. We stored wheat in New Orleans, and the climate is pretty close to that of Florida.

The humidity won't be a problem, since the wheat is sealed in the bags. As for the heat, it will just reduce the storage life. Although, since it is stored in your home, the reduced storage time probably won't be enough to cause you any worry. As long as it isn't stored in a garage or attic type environment, it should be fine.