Storm Clouds On The Horizon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After you listen to this, read some of the posts. Have you noticed that stores are spreading out the products along the shelves to make the shelves look full?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I listened to it all and sure agree with much of it. We have ALL been concerned with food, household supplies, income, etc. on here, IMO. It is, after all, a major part of our self reliant behaviors....and something to which we all subscribe in some fashion. This year I can say that more emphasis has been placed on "extra" winter stockpiling, canning, growing, seeds, etc. Planning for some pretty dire times, in fact......from the supply chains. Learn about substitutions.

There are shelves here that are bare in certain areas -- especially the cleaning/sanitizing portions of a store. We all know that some basics are limited in stocking -- sugar, flour, yeasts, canning supplies, etc. Today in WM I saw FOUR freezers....the small chest type, 7cu ft. But, still a hard thing to find sometimes. Their meats & most all canned goods were ample for shoppers. However -- that's today! Prices are rising fast.

Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, I feel good to THINK I have covered as much as I am able to control. It was an interesting report with food for thought. Everyone save the chicken, rabbit, goat, cattle and horse poo ..... you'll need it in your garden! Buy seeds now.

For me, I am blessed to have my dairy goats, supplying my and some others their milk -- cheese, cream, etc. here -- kids each year for sale &/or freezer, chickens for eggs/meat. Plenty of fertilizer for the garden. Too many seeds to plant and a roof over my head! Deer abound for any who hunt. Many are not so fortunate. Thankful that I am.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, YOU are blessed, Mini. but, in the wake of coming events, you are not secure, unless you are prepared to defend what you have against those who would take it, including our government.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs are loaded in trailer, taking them to slaughter this morning. Been working down the meat freezer, cleaning out the vegetable freezer and packing it with produce. Been canning like a starving squirrel. LOL LOL
Steer will be coming in soon. Our friend has kept him in the lot, feeding him until the pigs left. He proposed that we feed 6 CCX to slaughter size, we counter offered with 10 CCX. Darn good trade!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH does not see the coming food crisis. He is not aware that the price of food has increase so much, he seems to think that I am just buying the more expensive products or something. Granted, I will no longer buy ground beef that is less than 85% lean, and actually have been buying the 95% lean stuff - but why pay for the grease that I will just be draining off anyway.
I need to stock up on paper products ...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prices have increased dramatically! Tuna I used to get at $3.96 is now $5.98!! Some products change packaging, not price...you get less. Detergents are great at this. I notice a wine I buy has just gone up 20%...yes!! Meat, well we don't even need to go there. It's hard to believe those dollars. Canned veggies, also. All within the past 6-8 months. I see a lot of it when I do resets in the stores.

I mean you have to eat but, so many just cannot afford it. Plus it will continue. This is why you see the increased interest in butchering by those who can raise &/or process own. I expect deer season to be very hunter heavy this year!

Even dried beans have more than doubled in price. Beans! The poor man's best meal. Eat less meat dishes, eat left overs, don't waste any. Cereal is eye popping -- most not even good for you. I eat oatmeal sometimes, about it...occasional cream of wheat.

I buy the low fat ground beef 93% mostly. Bacon, now that buy is one where I save all drippings! :lol: Whole lot of flavor for a lot of other foods -- all for the same price! I try to buy some ground pork when I see it...adds to meatloaf, or make sausage. I like the 1# vac sealed ones. Boston butts were $.99 a pound recently, got one cut into 5 thick "steaks", one I froze whole and one I cooked, ate some, gave DD some & made BBQ with rest. I still shop mgr markdowns first.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs are loaded in trailer, taking them to slaughter this morning. Been working down the meat freezer, cleaning out the vegetable freezer and packing it with produce. Been canning like a starving squirrel. LOL LOL
Steer will be coming in soon. Our friend has kept him in the lot, feeding him until the pigs left. He proposed that we feed 6 CCX to slaughter size, we counter offered with 10 CCX. Darn good trade!

Been canning like a starving squirrel. 😍